Time to climb under the beast

Beltfed

I want to pull the Columbia two speed off the car for a look inside since it hasn't been used in years. The transmission is also jumping out of second gear. This enclosed drive shaft thing is new to me. Questions are...what is the go to book (instructions) on pulling this beast off the car? Can the transmission come out the bottom or does it only come out through the passenger compartment? Is it worth the effort? Thanks.

Remove the carpets from the front then remove the pan covering the transmission. You will see the torque tube and how its attached to the rear of the transmission. You will need to jack the rear of the car up and place some good jackstands under the frame . I do this by placing the floor jack under the rear end and raise it as high as possible then put the jack stands under the frame on each side and leave the jack under the rear . then disconnect the brake line going to the rear and the parking brake cable. Disconnect the shocks and remove the nuts and U bolts holding the spring then with the tires removed the whole unit can be lowered with the floor jack and rolled out. The transmission will come out through the floor but dont forget to support the rear of the engine. If the Columbia hasnt been used in years I would definatly rebuild the synchro clutch. If it still has the cork pads inside of it they tend to stick with age and can destroy the sun gear when its shifted.

Edited by flatcat (see edit history)