Tire sizw

Hello all:

I am starting to restore my 29 Commander. I took the tires off the rims and discovered three different tire sizess.

What was the tire size for this car when it was delivered new? I have 19 inch steel spoke rims.

Another item is that the side mount locks are missing. Does any one willing to part with two of them. Or perhaps send to a photo so I can seee what they look like.

Thanks Dave

Guest stude8

The 1929 Studebaker Commander brochure I have says: "Tires: Six-ply balloon 19 x 5.50-inch. Non-skid all around. Outside diameter, 31 inches."

Guest stude8

post-31139-143142001146_thumb.jpg

I will try to attach scans of the 1929 Commander brochure but the files are large some more than 1.5MB . If the size limits of the AACA forum reject the pages, post your email address and I can email them direct. *It looks like they all uploaded, this is a single sheet folder, each page is 7-1/4" wide x 9-1/4" tall. Each page is two sided and the sheet is 29" long with four pages front and back side.

Stude8

post-31139-143142001032_thumb.jpg

post-31139-14314200106_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143142001074_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143142001089_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143142001106_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143142001119_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143142001133_thumb.jpg

You mentioned your 29 Commander has steal spoke rims (wire wheels?) which would indicate that your car has side mount fenders. You need to be aware that modern tires made for early cars are not exactly the same size as the tires made for our cars when they were new. My 29 President takes 19 X 6.50 tires. When I recently purchased 6 new tires for my car (I will not mention brand names to protect the AACA forum) the tires would not even begin to fit into the fender wells. I called the tire company and was told that “most old car owners like the look of a larger size tire and will keep the side mount tires flat and air them up when needed.” The tires I purchased have on the sidewall 19 X 6.50 however; they are much larger in width and height.

Do your research and make sure you are buying tires that will fit your fender wells AND allow you to use your side mount locks.

You mentioned your 29 Commander has steal spoke rims (wire wheels?) which would indicate that your car has side mount fenders. You need to be aware that modern tires made for early cars are not exactly the same size as the tires made for our cars when they were new. My 29 President takes 19 X 6.50 tires. When I recently purchased 6 new tires for my car (I will not mention brand names to protect the AACA forum) the tires would not even begin to fit into the fender wells. I called the tire company and was told that “most old car owners like the look of a larger size tire and will keep the side mount tires flat and air them up when needed.” The tires I purchased have on the sidewall 19 X 6.50 however; they are much larger in width and height.

Do your research and make sure you are buying tires that will fit your fender wells AND allow you to use your side mount locks.

Thanks Mark. I did not consider that issue. Dave