-46 deSoto Noisy relay

Guest Mrutter59

Guest Mrutter59

Hi. I have rechecked the voltage, now from +terminal on battery to bat/relay and there was 5.7volt. Correct? I took a nother ign.coil and trimed the rpm with a laser tester to aprox. 457rpm. Then i testdrived and,now it shift from 3 to 4 and back in good order. Still its to much voltage between batery and generator, and i am not shure about were the ground stripes should be. But now i can take the car home from were it is. Garage is in another village. Wow,i am happy.

Guest Mrutter59

First, thank you Comodore for all your help, really presiate that. Well a new noice have appeard. I was hoping to drive the car home today but....the noice is more like "sparkling" and at the same time, the speedometer nidle moves like a ping pong boll over the display. It comes and goes, at first in higner speed but after a wile, even in lover. What in the world is that?

Guest Commodore

Sounds like your speedometer cable needs to be lubricated. Try disconnecting the speedometer cable at the transmission and drive it to see if the noise goes away. If the noise goes away and transmission doesn't leak oil, you can drive it home.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mrutter59

Hi. The speedometer cable is fixed. Now i have some problems with the oilpressure. It is about 40 when i drive but when i stopp at a redlight,it goes down to like 20 or less. And after stopping and then try to start, it is difficult to start again, takes a wile, it doesent build up enough pressure. A friend say, it could depend on the motor oil. I have Castrol 50-50 in the engine.Is that not correct?

"Now i have some problems with the oilpressure. It is about 40 when i drive but when i stopp at a redlight,it goes down to like 20 or less."

Excellent. Factory spec calls for 45 - 55 PSI @ 30 MPH (50KPH). 20PSI at idle is excellent.

"Thanks. And how about the discussion of detergent or not and mineral or not?"

Multigrade, detergent oil was introduced in 1951. Chances are, it was used in your car as soon as it became available. I know in North America 10W30 motor oil was used automatically for all oil changes unless the customer said different. This was in the fifties, sixties and seventies.

Talk to some old mechanics and ask what they used on cars like yours, when they were in common service.

Synthetic oil not recommended because it leaks through old seals and gaskets.

I would use a good brand of 10W30 oil. 50 is way too heavy for the engine crankcase. Save it for the air cleaner, it is supposed to be filled with 50 oil (in warm weather) below freezing, when weather is below 0c, use 30 oil in the air cleaner.

This subject has been discussed many, many times. If you do a search you should find plenty of opinions. I prefer to go by facts.

When your car was made, Chrysler recommended 10W oil for below 0c, 20W20 for summer, 30 for hot weather over 70F (21c). 5W for extreme cold weather (0F or -18c). I don't think you will be using your Chrysler when it is that cold.

These different grades were replaced by 10W30 when it became available.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Guest Mrutter59

Thank you Rusty for your very exellent answer on the oil issue.I just buy some sae30 oil from Castrol. Now i have another problem that i think is more serius. When i open the hood there was whater around 2 sparkplugs. No 2 and 3, from front. I problem some days before, the car just stop and refused to start. Now it has been standing some days. Well i dryed it from water and when i pushed the start button, it bubbles up like air/water around the sparkplugs. ???