Heater duct wanted for 1950 Windsor

My heater duct is rodent eaten and collapsed beyond repair, and I'm wondering if anyone knows of a source for a new one. (or even a serviceable used one!) I just called Andy Bernbaum's, and he's out, and won't have any more reproductions for at least a year.

I made my own out of black cardboard from an upholstery supply place. They have 2 grades, thin for the bottom of chairs and thick for door panels and the backs of sofas. I used the thick stuff.

This was on a 1952 Chrysler New Yorker. It worked perfectly and was still in good shape when I sold the car, 6 or 7 years after I made it.

Take your old duct or what is left of it, stuff it with styrofoam or wadded newspaper so it is as close as you can get to the right shape. Measure and make patterns of brown paper. Cut out the black cardboard, score the corners with a dull knife or pizza cutter and fold to shape. Glue and staple together. Reuse the steel flange that goes on the firewall.

I prefer to use cardboard to be as authentic as possible. I believe Chrysler used the cardboard type material for sound deadening. You could make a metal one but it would transmit noise from the engine compartment into the passenger compartment. It also occurred to me, to make a fibreglass one. It would last forever.

Someone else suggested that the closest thing to the original rough surface, paper mache looking cardboard, would be the brown packing pieces found in the box with new computers, printers and other electronics. They said if you took the pieces and soaked them in water in the bath tub they would flatten out, and can be molded to any shape. I never tried it myself.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Paul R.: Thanks for the heads-up. Interestingly enough, I've been doing regular searches on Ebay, and hadn't seen anything come up until you posted this, at which time I found about 4 different ones there. Unfortunately they all exceed my cheepometer for what amounts to a piece of cardboard!

Jack M.: Don't worry about posting that picture, as I've saved a few for reference from ebay listings. Thanks for the offer.

Rusty: Given the prices on those repros, you've just provided me with a plan of action. I'll take pictures as I fabricate the thing, and may provide a tutorial IF it works out well.

As far as I can tell they used the same duct on Plymouth, Dodge, DeSoto, Chrysler Windsor and Chrysler New Yorker except the larger cars got longer ducts, step by step. It appeared the extra length was all in the straight part that ended at the firewall. So if you had a full length duct or pattern for the straight eight cars it could easily be shortened for the others.

Guest Paul R.

I just checked and I still have the old one that came off my '50 Windsor. There's a hole in it and Its a little collapsed in one place. You could use it as a pattern. You're welcome to it if you pay the shipping. I'm in Tulsa, OK

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...