'63 Broken Neutral Safety Switch

CheezeMan

Just a week before Lexington, I managed to bust the n/s switch while trying to fiddle with the shifter bushing under the console. Yep, while I had it all apart, I pushed the shifter too far north and shaved the pin right off the switch, with a swift and clean slice; reminiscent of Arby's meat slicer. After the "oh-crap" (more expletives followed), and then the sense of "what now? Lexington is a week away"...

Having tried super glue, elmer's glue, epoxy and many other adhesives in the past with horrible results, I decided not even to attempt those old remedies that would most certainly yield a catastrophic failure at the wrong moment.

I had already bought some Plast-aid <Plast-aid® multi-purpose repair plastic for your repair solutions.> for repairing the console (the bolt "fingers" at the top that always break). So, I decided to try this stuff on the n/s switch. It worked! I drove all the way to Lexington and back without issues. The switch repair stayed all the way. This stuff is amazing!

Ok, yeah, I still bought a replacement switch... If I ever need it. :)

• 2 years later...

Just a week before Lexington, I managed to bust the n/s switch while trying to fiddle with the shifter bushing under the console. Yep, while I had it all apart, I pushed the shifter too far north and shaved the pin right off the switch, with a swift and clean slice; reminiscent of Arby's meat slicer. After the "oh-crap" (more expletives followed), and then the sense of "what now? Lexington is a week away"...

Having tried super glue, elmer's glue, epoxy and many other adhesives in the past with horrible results, I decided not even to attempt those old remedies that would most certainly yield a catastrophic failure at the wrong moment.

I had already bought some Plast-aid <Plast-aid® multi-purpose repair plastic for your repair solutions.> for repairing the console (the bolt "fingers" at the top that always break). So, I decided to try this stuff on the n/s switch. It worked! I drove all the way to Lexington and back without issues. The switch repair stayed all the way. This stuff is amazing!

Ok, yeah, I still bought a replacement switch... If I ever need it. :)

Hi Chuck,

what part number does the 1963 Buick Riviera n/s switch have ?

I need a new one as well.

I found a  part on eBay.

Is the number below the correct one ?

Thank you,

Frank

57 58 59 60 61 62 63 Buick Neutral Safety Switch NS6113

Hello Frank,

According to the 1963 Parts Master Catalog, this is the switch for a 1963 Riviera:

Group 4.054

Neutral Safety and Back-up Switch GM 1178137 

I think I found that listing you are asking about.

The picture appears to be correct to me (assuming that is the real pic of the item).

The write-up states it is for the '63 Riv.

A searchable PDF copy of the entire 1963 Master Parts Catalog is available from Jim Cannon.

I believe he only charges are very reasonable amount ($15-- I think is still the price).

If you are an ROA member, you can find Jim's contact information in the Riview under 1963 Technical Advisor.

Thank you,

Chuck