1930 Buick - Trunk seal?

michaelod

Does anyone know if there is supposed to be some sort of trunk seal in 1930 Buick coupes and roadsters? My model 68 had nothing in this area when I purchased it and now that I am ready to install the trunk lid, it seems there should be something other than metal to metal contact. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Here are some photos of what I currently have (minus the locking mechanism).

Thanks,

post-63406-143141977516_thumb.jpg

post-63406-143141977525_thumb.jpg

post-63406-143141977534_thumb.jpg

My car has a rumble seat, so i don't know if the attached photos are relevant. Also, the car is not at my house right now, so i can't go out to the garage and have a look. These pictures were on my computer. I believe the weight of panel rests on the bushing in the corner. When it's closed and latched, its a pretty tight fit so it doesn't rub. There isn't any seal.

post-71232-143141977833_thumb.jpg

post-71232-143141977823_thumb.jpg

post-71232-143141977828_thumb.jpg

Hello Michael, no, the trunk of my car is identical with yours and did not have anything attached to the wooden frame .I painted the inside black and I attached the locking mechanism .I will look for some pictures and I will post them .Good luck with the assembly.George

Thanks for all the help guys. I got my trunk lid installed and in the process discovered that it actually seems to float on three points; the two forward hinges and the striker plate. It never actually contacts the body anywhere and all the rain is expected to fall in the surrounding channel and drain out the low point at the bottom. It is bolted at the hinges and the upward pressure of the spring holds it tight against the striker plate. The two rubber bushings shown in Buick64c's car are present in my car but are located at the bottom as my lid opens in reverse. The lid normally does not contact these bumpers at all and they only serve as stops to prevent contact with the car during the act of closing the lid.

post-63406-143141979085_thumb.jpg

This are the images what are you talking about, I had to replace the rubber bushings and I think that, their primary roll is to adjust the trunk lid since they are adjustable up and down .....Saturday and Sunday I drove the car and I encounter some problems with the carburetor...seems that is not receiving sufficient gas and I have to look for a repair kit...any suggestions ? Thanks George

I suggest you disconnect the fuel line at the carb. and see if you are getting enough from your pump. If you have not changed the old diaphragm, is has probably lost elasticity and will soon fail due to ethanol in the fuel. Check valves could be partially blocked or sticking too...

This are the images what are you talking about, I had to replace the rubber bushings and I think that, their primary roll is to adjust the trunk lid since they are adjustable up and down .....Saturday and Sunday I drove the car and I encounter some problems with the carburetor...seems that is not receiving sufficient gas and I have to look for a repair kit...any suggestions ? Thanks George

George,

Do you happen to have a source for those rubber bushings? Mine are worn down to a nub and I am unable so far to locate anything suitable for a replacement.

Thanks,

Hello Michael , I had them made by a friend of mine who is working in aeronautic industries and he made a mold .I will contact him to make 2 more and I will send them to you if you provide an address. The only thing that I did ...I give him the entire assembly. I will talk to him. George

Hello Michael , I had them made by a friend of mine who is working in aeronautic industries and he made a mold .I will contact him to make 2 more and I will send them to you if you provide an address. The only thing that I did ...I give him the entire assembly. I will talk to him. George

That would be great George. I really appreciate your help. With a little luck he might still have a useable mold. In any case if he still needs mine I will be happy to send them. I will send you a PM with my contact information.