63 engine detail pix

Guest slacker1965

Guest slacker1965

hi all,

does anyone have any detail shots of a 63 401 w/o the air cleaner on it? I am wondering what the coil bracket looks like(manifold isn't tapped like a '65, & how the linkage is supposed to be hooked up that goes to the dynaflow..... it has a rochester 4-jet... I Do Not have a 63 chassis manual as I do not plan on keeping this car, I have a '65 manual.... I do have the '63 DSB cd but did not see anything that helped... I have searched, most pix have the a/c on it

thanks!

ks

Kevin,

I took a look in my '63 chassis manual and came up with a couple of details.

There is a picture of the coil bolted to the intake manifold. It lies down and the bracket is bolted to the manifold.

The carb pictures shows a "stator" lever as part of the linkage on the carb. The lever is below the base level of the carb and has a hole in it for the rod. It's probably secured with a clip or cotter pin.

For you situation, I would check the date on the manifold to make sure it's correct. Then check the carb number to make sure it's correct. The number for the Rochester 4GC shown for the series 4700 "nailhead" is 702340. If there's no tag on the carb, check for a number rolled into the body.

Could be that someone in a previous ownership has swapped out a carb and manifold. :eek:

Ed

Guest slacker1965
Kevin,

I took a look in my '63 chassis manual and came up with a couple of details.

There is a picture of the coil bolted to the intake manifold. It lies down and the bracket is bolted to the manifold.

The carb pictures shows a "stator" lever as part of the linkage on the carb. The lever is below the base level of the carb and has a hole in it for the rod. It's probably secured with a clip or cotter pin.

For you situation, I would check the date on the manifold to make sure it's correct. Then check the carb number to make sure it's correct. The number for the Rochester 4GC shown for the series 4700 "nailhead" is 702340. If there's no tag on the carb, check for a number rolled into the body.

Could be that someone in a previous ownership has swapped out a carb and manifold. :eek:

Ed

ed,

thanks for taking the time to look that info up!

I will ck the carb #(no tag), where is the manifold date code stamped? the engine # matches the vin, but I don't have the car @ home...

anyone have any pix?

thanks

kevin

Guest slacker1965
hi all,

does anyone have any detail shots of a 63 401 w/o the air cleaner on it? I am wondering what the coil bracket looks like(manifold isn't tapped like a '65, & how the linkage is supposed to be hooked up that goes to the dynaflow..... it has a rochester 4-jet... I Do Not have a 63 chassis manual as I do not plan on keeping this car, I have a '65 manual.... I do have the '63 DSB cd but did not see anything that helped... I have searched, most pix have the a/c on it

thanks!

ks

nobody has a rochester 4g '63 engine pic?

thanks

ks

Very few Rivieras came with the 4GC; most came with the AFB. I changed my 4GC for an AFB 35 years ago (AFB's don't leak.) That same style 4GC was probably used from 59 - 63. Take a look at Google Images and see what you might be able to find. You can also look at items for sale on eBay, but many times sellers aren't too keen on what fits what. AFB Carbs for 63's are different from AFB's for '64. AFB's for 401's are different than AFB's for 425's. AFB's for '66 are different from both. Could be the same for the 4GC's

Be patient and keep looking for references to the number I gave you. It could be quicker for you to get yourself a chassis manual and look at illustrations from it. You're going to want one anyway, someday. Might as well be now.

Ed

Two minutes on eBay and I came up with this picture

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1961-1962-1963-BUICK-NAILHEAD-401-V8-REBUILT-ROCHESTER-4GC-CARBURETOR-CARB-/190831423543?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6e707037&vxp=mtr

Edited by RivNut
Added PS (see edit history)

Guest slacker1965
Very few Rivieras came with the 4GC; most came with the AFB. I changed my 4GC for an AFB 35 years ago (AFB's don't leak.) That same style 4GC was probably used from 59 - 63. Take a look at Google Images and see what you might be able to find. You can also look at items for sale on eBay, but many times sellers aren't too keen on what fits what. AFB Carbs for 63's are different from AFB's for '64. AFB's for 401's are different than AFB's for 425's. AFB's for '66 are different from both. Could be the same for the 4GC's

Be patient and keep looking for references to the number I gave you. It could be quicker for you to get yourself a chassis manual and look at illustrations from it. You're going to want one anyway, someday. Might as well be now.

Ed

Two minutes on eBay and I came up with this picture

1961 1962 1963 Buick Nailhead 401 V8 Rebuilt Rochester 4GC Carburetor Carb | eBay

Ed

thanks for your time.... I didn't think to scan ebay...

I would spring for a 63 manual, but do not plan on keeping this car, I am more partial to '65's(I have doc's for them & 64's)...

after your post, & considering that it is 50, it wouldn't surprise me in the least that I have something that never left the factory in the configuration that I have.....

I have 2 '65's (one shell, one rusty parts car) that also had 4g's on them...

I did search google, roa forum, team buick & whatever else I could find....no detail pix...

again I appreciate your time & was hoping that another member would chime in w/something

ks

hi all,

thanks!

ks

Attaching a couple from my '63.

post-65039-143141979383_thumb.jpg

post-65039-14314197939_thumb.jpg

Kevin, Chucks car is one of the many with the Carter AFB carburetor. HOWEVER, the stator linkage and lever on each carburetor is the same. You should be able to get an idea of how the rod hooks up by looking at Chuck's AFB. The bottom rod is the rod that controls the stator. Also, there is no difference in the intakes for the different carbs. Chuck's coil is correct for both carbs. This should help you as much as a picture of a 4GC.

Ed

PS - Tack on thrice the price of a '63 manual for the next buyer. Great selling tool to have one.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest slacker1965
Kevin, Chucks car is one of the many with the Carter AFB carburetor. HOWEVER, the stator linkage and lever on each carburetor is the same. You should be able to get an idea of how the rod hooks up by looking at Chuck's AFB. The bottom rod is the rod that controls the stator. Also, there is no difference in the intakes for the different carbs. Chuck's coil is correct for both carbs. This should help you as much as a picture of a 4GC.

Ed

PS - Tack on thrice the price of a '63 manual for the next buyer. Great selling tool to have one.

Chuck & Ed...

thanks so much for taking the time to share.... I will hook up the stator to my 4g & see what happens...

I was gonna just make up a coil mt, now I can make a correct one, thanks

ks