New parts not like old Thought?

JP75

Hi everybody UPS just delivered my latest delivery of parts in a little brown box. My excitement is on hold due that I found inside. I purchased 4 new rear spring bushings 2 for the frame and 2 for the spring ends and the rear shackle connects the two. I was expecting parts to be like the originals with rubber between the inner and outer sleeves (picture with C513638R text in it) . What I received with a note saying the originals have been discontinued and they shipped a replacements that have a threaded sleeve and shaft with a grease fitting on one end with two rubber washers on each side. (The picture below shows the the bushing put together and taken apart). My question is will there be any difference in function, vibration, and noise if I use these over the bushings with the rubber or would I be better off looking for original style parts.

Thanks in advance four your thoughts.post-88992-143141972018_thumb.jpgmD9Tf6MbaMlDOo6xgBuOkdA.jpg

The vulcanized ones are maintenance free. The other ones require greasing. I believe they changed to the vulcanized one because of economies and no other reason. I don't think you would be able to tell the difference in ride. However if the rubber is not vulcanized properly you would eventually get a squeak that cannot be fixed. By the way where did you get your shackle kits. I am looking for the rubber washers.

The molded rubber bushings require expensive tooling to make. For old cars with limited followings, it is often not economically viable to invest in such tooling. The all metal machined parts can be made by anyone with a lathe (or, more likely, automated screw machine tooling). This doesn't require specialized tooling for small production runs.

I'm not a Pontiac expert, but Olds used the machined screw type bushings on front suspension arms well into the 1960s, so the technology is certainly proven. The two differences are 1) the all metal construction is slightly less compliant over bumps (I'm not sure you'd even feel the difference on rear leaf spring bushings) and 2) as noted, they do require periodic greasing.