Buick chooses a model to represent each decade

Guest BigDogDaddy

No surprise. Just not enough quality fact checkers these days. And now they have moved on to other PR articles. Bu it sure should be embarrassing. Maybe they had no photos of the beautiful 20s Buicks. But the 1931 and 1936 where cars of some notability, hence the decision. John

Edited by jscheib
addition (see edit history)

Yeah, and those American-made Kelsey-Hayes 1953-1954 Buick Skylark wire wheels are NOT Italian Borrani wire wheels.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.......author unknown"

Journalism in exchange for a bag of groceries on the kitchen table; I told my kids to be aware that news articles are written, for the most part, by people who need money. Its just a job.

There are also federal laws that contribute to inaccuracy and mediocrity. Museums, archives, and other historical collections are required to be staffed by professional archivists if the effort is a business type organization. This tends to exclude the knowledgeable hobbyist and replaces them with a trained researcher. Its just a job in the end.

The scary part is Kelsey-Hayes. I don't think there are any Italian words that start with K or H.

Bernie

Guest BigDogDaddy

Bernie, I agree with you completely. Which is why a forum like this and / or a club like this is usually the best source of accurate information. I know that not every member has full knowledge of our topic at hand. But if you hang around long enough you notice a general consensus of what the facts are. And even those are subject to change if new information is discovered. And the same goes for any group of enthusiasts of anything from cars to sports to restaurants etc. :)

I did a little research on the Borrani wire wheels. They have a center screw on hub that you tap with a little Italian hammer. On the Kelsey Hayes wheels they use Kelsey's nuts and they are REALLY tight; sturdy Buick stuff.

Bernie

Yeah, and those American-made Kelsey-Hayes 1953-1954 Buick Skylark wire wheels are NOT Italian Borrani wire wheels.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about.......author unknown"

Just saying, this could be the source, without reading and comprehending the fine print, of what started 'one of the top ten ugliest rumors' re: 1953 Buick Skylarks.....

post-41556-143141966786_thumb.jpg

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

post-41556-143141966775_thumb.jpg

post-41556-143141968007_thumb.jpg

Edited by 1953mack
enlarged the fine print.....Pic #2 (see edit history)

If you read the press release, Buick divided their history into 10 year slices, not per decade. If they had done it based on the calendar, then there would have been 12 cars needing to be picked. As it is, it is 1903-12, 1913-1922, 1923-1932, 1933-1942, etc. So, having two cars from the 1930s works, although it looks odd if all you look at is the photo gallery.