Roof Material

Guest vacabill

Guest vacabill

On my 32 oldsmobile 4dr sedan, the top has been repaired with nails also it looks like the fibers are separted and the corner has pulled up. Now that, that's out of the way. What is the best material to replace it with, ive looked on sites, but most of it is for Fords, as to grain etc . I cant find anything about the trim that goes around the material as to what it is and how its held on, also cant find a price, anyone know what the material cost? I am getting ready to remove all the paint, so thought might as well rip it off, before painting. the ceiling wood was replaced before I bought the car, I think the roof and wood were replaced in the late 70's and then just sat in a garage. post-90926-143141959031_thumb.jpg

post-90926-143141958991_thumb.jpg

post-90926-143141959013_thumb.jpg

My Pontiac (Canadian) came with a much different grain than any other I have ever seen. I took the original material off in 1965 and since then have used "leatherette", "oilskin" or "vinyl" like you would use for an outside table cloth. I have found ones that had a similar grain to my original. As I drive my car daily in all weathers I felt I would use something cheaper and replace it as needed. So far I have had to replace the material 3 times (48 years and 360,000 miles). If I were going to restore my car I would probably use the long grain material like the F*** people use.