PASSING OF BRUCE WOODSON, RICHMOND, VIRGINIA

Marty Roth

Hello friends.

It is with a heavy heart that I send this email.

We lost Bruce Woodson, Sr. early Wednesday morning. We are all blessed that his battle with complications from Alzheimer's did not leave him to suffer needlessly.

I apologize for sending this through electronic media. He had so many dear friends and acquaintances this seemed the most efficient means to reach you all.

Visitation will be held at Woody Funeral Home, Parham Chapel, on Sunday, June 16th from 2:00 pm to 4:00 pm, and again from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm.

Funeral services will be held Monday morning, June 17th at 11:00 am at River Road Baptist Church.

Interment will follow at Riverview Cemetery.

Thank you all for being an important part of our lives.

The Woodson Family

Bruce was just one of the countless extraordinary people I met when I went to the Auburn Cord Duesenberg meet at Auburn in 1980. From memory Bruce may have been one of the chief judges, and though I never was nor ever have been interested in beauty competitions for restored cars, Bruce showed me a few important things. It was clear that he had been well used to working on his own cars, rather than leave the work to the cheque book.

Now at the meet on a trailer, For Sale, if my memory is correct, was an 851 Auburn boat-tail speedster that had barely survived destruction in a garage fire. Bruce explained to me that it was an original car, and that in the impecunious state of the company at the time, they had built the first speedsters out of parts they had laying around in stock. The moulding lines on the body were made by lead loading, all to match. The moulding on the earlier scuttle that was used had been belted in with a heavy panel beater's pick hammer. The new mouldings as Gordon required them were all done with body solder. The buyer got a lot of extra lead at no extra cost.

Auburn was the place and the meet where I felt more comfortable and amongst more good friends than any other meet before or since. If I find the opportunity to afford another trip there again there will be a lot of people I valued meeting that will no longer be there; but I know there will be a lot of new friends there instead.

I always enjoyed spending visiting time with Bruce. Last time was up at New Kent for the British Car Show where his Rolls Royce was proudly displayed right up front. He did so much to help with the old car hobby here in Va in the early days and was such a gentleman. Thank goodness his family carries forward the tradition as they are all involved in old cars here in the Old Dominion and across the country. Rest in peace Bruce, your memory will live on a long time here.

Terry & Susan Bond