rebuild hydramatic or buy NOS one??

Guest slyhog022056

Guest slyhog022056

I am soon going to be rebuilding the engine and trans... maybe in my 52 olds 98. This car had been parked in 1975 and the trans was still good. i didnt get to drive the car before removing the drivetrain and am worried the hydramatic may need to be rebuilt. I did tow it a ways and the rear pump did build enough pressure to turn the engine over in drive. I removed it last year with all the fluid inside it and it has been vacuum wrapped in plastic ever since.

Problem..i dont know if the bands and clutches would still be any good after sitting for 38 years. To rebuild it would cost me about $750 in parts, there is a guy here that has NOS hydramatics still in original GM shipping crates for $750. Would these be in the same condition as mine since they had never been installed? and would they be usable without rebuilding also?. He has 3 of them and i am thinking about buying them all.

The bands and seals in the NOS trans will be just as old as the ones in your current trans. If you're worried about the age of the ones in yours, why do you think they will be "better" in the other trans?

With either trans you have the possibility of hard seals. If it was me I would buy the NOS trans anyway ( a NOS trans is pure gold even if the seals need to be replaced ) and buy two rebuilding kits. Install your original good working trans ( what's 25 minutes of R&R ?? ...nothing ) and see how it works. If it slips or leaks rebuild it and save the the NOS trans and vacuum pack the kit.

Guest slyhog022056
With either trans you have the possibility of hard seals. If it was me I would buy the NOS trans anyway ( a NOS trans is pure gold even if the seals need to be replaced ) and buy two rebuilding kits. Install your original good working trans ( what's 25 minutes of R&R ?? ...nothing ) and see how it works. If it slips or leaks rebuild it and save the the NOS trans and vacuum pack the kit.

Never thought about the seals hardening up, but its understandable. At $750 each i dont think i could go wrong with 1 or even 2 extras around, i am sure i could sell them at a swap meet pretty easy. After all who in their right mind would replace these wonderful transmissions with something other than a hydramatic??....

Now to figure out converting to rear disc brakes or finding a narrow enough axle to put under there with discs....