1ST Gen Rear Wheel Bearings and their Seals.

Guest 1963 Riviera

Guest 1963 Riviera

Hi All,

I was hearing a whirring type noise coming from the rear so on my mechanics advice we replaced the RWB'S. Finding them was no problem (CARS, $51.00 EACH)

I was dissapointed to receive them without the seals. I wrote to them prior to ordering, asking if the kit included the seals but NO REPLY. Time was a'wasten so I ordered and added a note about the seals..AGAIN NO REPLY...and NO SEALS IN THE KIT.

Luckily the original seals are still good but I feel the job is not complete

Your thoughts on this service failure.

btw I replaced the the track bar bushes as well (sort off, see my next thread.)

Car is handling much better(sort off, see my next thread.) and that "whirr" is gone

Nick.

Guest Rob J

Like I always say. You can't complain about the service, because there is no service to complain about.

Nick,

Yes it would have been good to replace the seals but as long as they aren't leaking don't fret it. There isn't alot of oil that reaches these seals on a reguular basis as most of it stays in the differential.

I have only ever seen wheel bearings and seals being sold separately and not in a kit. I have found that while many companies have good intentioned email links on their website for customer service, not many supply the necessary labor to respond to them especially during busy times. Email has its benefits but for questions like this it leaves much to be desired so I always use the telephone because you can not assume anything especially when shipping so far. Remember, don't hesitate to contact one of the ROA Technical Advisors if you need assistence for things like this in the future.

Always great to see our members patronizing specialty vendors but did you try your local auto parts store for the bearings and seals??? Been awhile since I have done rear wheel bearings but I`m sure the rear seals are readily available as I recently replaced a set. As I recall they were about $8 apiece.

It certainly would have been standard shop procedure to do the seals along with pulling the axles as it is a fair amount of labor to go back in to do them...and they do go bad. But as Jason has advised no need to "fix it if it aint broke".

Tom Mooney

Guest 1963 Riviera

You're right Jim, parts don't exist here. I am lucky to travel to the U.S. regularly and pick up my parts there. I did not realise that seals are seals and not specific to the model. I'm sure I would have fond something here.

I found them by googling. And as I have bought from CARS before I went went with them....easy

Thanks for your input fellas.

Nick