Keeping service records.

HRP

I'm certain this question has been asked before, but I couldn't find the results with search, so please accept my apologies if it is redundant.

I purchased my 1991 Buick Reatta Convertible new on 14 November 1991. Since then, I've kept every service record, inspection, etc chiefly because I just stuck them in a compartment and never cleaned it out. The car currently has around 115k on her, and I am not planning to part with her anytime soon. Is there any rational reason to keep these records beyond the most recent service, tire warranty, inspection, license, etc?

Will these records enhance the collectibility or value down the road??

Thanks,

HRP

Guest Corvanti

Keep all service records!!! not necessarily in the vehicle - maybe with the title in a safe place. they are worth quite a bit on "classic cars" upon selling or a future repair needed to determine if the part had been replaced in the past...

That's a little bit of a trick question.

Currently, I don't think past invoices, receipts, etc will enhance the collectability of your car (lets first wait for the Reatta to be recognized as a collectable car). But *I* would certainly hold on to all invoices and receipts you (as the original owner) have. They will help justify and clarify your eventual asking price whenever you sell. And if and/or when the car becomes a recognized collectable, then you're (pardon the pun) 'in the drivers seat.'

I would pay more for a car sold by the original owner. And I'd pay even a little more if invoices and receipts were included (including past DMV documents and the cherished Reatta portfolio).

HRP,

Keep them. The car I just purchased had all the itemized repair receipts for the past 17 years which made for interesting reading. It gave a better feel for history of the car. Surprisingly, it seems that the PO had the oil changed every time any other work was performed. Spent about 15 grand in those 17 years. Had a tail light bulb changed out, change the oil and filter. Replace the window switch, change the oil and filter. Brake job, oil & filter. This in addition to regular O&F changes. So on and so on which is why I can't understand why the crank bearings are screwed up. Something must have happened during the first six years of it's life for which there are no receipts. This is why it would be a good idea to keep them. Not the CC slips or cancelled checks but the itemized work order from the shop doing the work. It would show to a buyer that the car was properly taken care of.

John F.