One of the 454?

RivNut

I just talked with the owner of this 1965 and he confirmed for me that the car does have the LX engine code, and the Engine Serial number matches the VIN. One of 454 made that had the A8 engine (Super Wildcat) option but not the A9 (Gran Sport) option. Probably not a bad deal is someone is looking for a rare car. What I don't know but I'm curious about is if the A8 engine code also included the BS transmission and 3.42:1 posi-tract rear end. Hopefully I'll find out more and let everyone know.

Ed

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)

Guest wildcat465

I would guess that the transmission code would not be a BS, the 3:42 posi could be purchased as an option but was not standard.

Cool car. I admit that it is interesting being one of the 454, very few ever seen out there.

I doubt will ever be as "valuable" as a GS car.

I also just talked to the owner, he is an ROA member, and said he also has a '66 GS with the "MZ" engine code, said he is more partial to the '66's is why he is selling the '65. He is going to take a few more pictures, as soon as weather permits, and send them to me. I did ask about the rear end and transmission, he said the differential does have the "tag" on it but he didn't know more than that, said he would jack it up and see if he can find any more about that and if it has the "BS" transmission code. He also said he knows a shipper that would bring it to NC for $500 or so, guess we'll have to see what happens?!?<o:p></o:p>

Edited by Rivman (see edit history)

He did say it has been garage kept 99% if its life, has NONE of the "normal" rust through of the first generation Rivs, and it is solid! So, the question is ... Is it worth $15K plus shipping? I know it all depends on what I want but I just thought I would throw it out there.

I still don't know about the transmission or the differential, "and" it was probably NOT garage kept 99% of its life, "so" it does have a couple of rust problems, but it is NOT for sale any longer.

It "is" a numbers matching LX engine with a good bit of options, and a straight and solid car. I got another ROA member from the St Louis area to take a look at it for me and he gave it a positive review, and I would like to say he did a "very" thorough inspection!

The color is Shell Beige with a Saddle Vinyl interior, it runs and shifts and stops good, now I just have to figure out how I am going to get it to NC! It would be nice if I could arrange a stop in Lexington on its way home, but I'm not sure I will be able to make that happen.

Anyone know of a good place to arrange transportation? I went to the website listed in Jim Cannon's signature and have gotten a few "bids", I just wonder if anyone here knows a reliable company to ship from MO to NC.

Not sure if I should have but I did it anyway!

Thanks for your original post Ed!

• 2 weeks later...

Hopefully I'll find out what transmission and differential it has "tomorrow", it is supposed to be delivered to the house by the time I get home, had to work out of town this weekend. I am planning on moving a couple of Rivs around, putting it on the lift, and checking those things right off the bat. Well, I'll probably verify the numbers matching LX engine and the carburetor numbers "first" thing, but will look at the other numbers right after that.

I figured even if it will never reach the value of a GS it was worth getting, being 1 of 454 LX non GS Rivs?!? In the 18 years I have been an ROA member I have not heard of anyone having one, so it might/must be somewhat of a novelty? But since I don't buy them with "any" intension of selling them it doesn't really matter anyway.

Edited by Rivman (see edit history)

Well it has arrived ...

post-47994-143141939396_thumb.jpg

It looks pretty good from here ...

The good news is it "IS" a numbers matching LX engine ...

post-47994-143141939436_thumb.jpg

There are tags on both carbs but there are no numbers that I can see, does anyone know if these look correct?

post-47994-143141939498_thumb.jpg

It does have the BT transmission as suspected, it does "not" has a posi rear-end, the numbers are not easy to see but I "think" I see a 3 above 23 stamped onto the differential.

post-47994-143141939447_thumb.jpg

Built the 4th week of Feb; Saddle Vinyl interior, Shell Beige paint; tinted/power windows, A/C, rear seat speaker, and seat belts.

post-47994-143141939458_thumb.jpg

Kind of low options? It does seem strange it would be ordered with the LX engine and no posi?

I'm not sure if I have made a HUGE mistake or not, it is going to need more than I thought! I was planning on $4-5K for paint and body work, but after getting it up on the lift and taking a closer look, I'm sure it will take more than that to get it "nice"! The body is in decent shape but several of the "underneath" parts are going to take a good bit of work. I guess I'll be starting a frame off soon? Now I just have to figure out a place to keep it.

post-47994-143141939414_thumb.jpg

post-47994-143141939425_thumb.jpg

Hi Randall

Congrats! The carbs do look correct but best to check the numbers located on the pass side front just above the mounting surface. The block stampings also look correct. Rather surprised it does not have a posi (how did you determine that?) but understandable, especially in a low option car. Maybe the original purchaser simply wanted the underhood "bling"?? The colors are what I would suspect a lady to have ordered. Perhaps Mom wanted a touch of "jewelry" under the hood! Any info as to the identity of the original owner? Good luck with your new baby,

Tom

Hi Randall

Congrats! The carbs do look correct but best to check the numbers located on the pass side front just above the mounting surface. The block stampings also look correct. Rather surprised it does not have a posi (how did you determine that?) but understandable, especially in a low option car. Maybe the original purchaser simply wanted the underhood "bling"?? The colors are what I would suspect a lady to have ordered. Perhaps Mom wanted a touch of "jewelry" under the hood! Any info as to the identity of the original owner? Good luck with your new baby,

Tom

Thanks Tom, I had looked the carbs over pretty good but didn't see the numbers until you told me their exact location. They are the correct numbers according to the ROA website. There are a couple of letters after the numbers on each carb too?

About the posi, I checked for the X in a circle on the bottom of the carrier flange first, it is not there, and then I jacked it up and turned the tires, they turn in opposite directions, not the same direction.

No information about the original owner, I'm sure the seller is not going to have any of that information. The ROA member that went to look at it for me did say he had seen the car 10 years ago but was never able to make contact with the owner at that time, I might be able to get a starting point from him, who knows? I'll probably just let it set until after the meet, I still have things to get done to get ready for that ... in less than two weeks!