Progress and A Question

Anzac Buick64

So for the pre-war guys . Here are some photos and details on the 1939 Series 40 special sedan that we (wife and I ) are restoring to road user condition. The question relates to the rear side of the front seat. It was only once I had taken the photo that the "fade" line from the old robe rail was obvious. But how did the robe cord attach to the seat? What kind of fitting was used here, and what do they look Like? We will replace the robe rail when we redo the seats but can the fittings be had or replicated?

We also took the knife to the rear seats and discovered the original upholstery under the seat covers. It is very fragile,faded and friable but will be able to help with patterns. The door panels were also present under the covers and will be able to be used for patterns as well.

Other work has progressed including engine electrics and carby, the new main drive shaft for the gear box has been machined up(need to hide that invoice from the wife) and installed and work is progressing on the front shock absorbers.

We also have found the original ownership papers that went with the car so have detailed ownership records from new. Six owners prior to myself including 2 car dealers who held it for under 1 month in the 1960s. It came into my wife's family in 1977 and we are looking through the old slides and photos to find some family shots in the past with the car.

post-92291-143141906459_thumb.jpg

cheers and thanks for the help

Andrew

post-92291-14314190645_thumb.jpg

post-92291-143141906455_thumb.jpg

post-92291-143141906457_thumb.jpg

post-92291-143141906458_thumb.jpg

Always nice to see a few pics Andrew.

How cool to still have the original material for seat and door trims hidden away to use for patterns.

Hopefully you'll get the auto choke back to original. They work pretty well when all is good.

It looks like it only needs a new bi-metal spring cover and a heat tube to get working again.

It's a bit hard to see in the pic if all the fast idle rods and cams are all there. Also can't see if the starter switch is there.

Maybe a few close ups of the carb and manifold to confirm.

Was it the input or output shaft you had machined and what was wrong with it ??

Danny

Hi Danny

It was the output shaft. At some time in its past the spiral splines on the shaft had obviously worn down and in an effort to repair it in the past some one had attempted to weld new metal/bronze onto the splines . It had eventually worn off and when the gear box was pulled down there was a porridge of metal shavings in the whole box. The new shaft we have increased the diameter of the rear end of the shaft and fitted a larger needle roller bearing (which was absent in the car as as well). The gear box and universals and drive shaft had all been modified at some point in the past and not very well either so lots needed repairing/replacing. New synchros new gears ,bearings etc. At least the casing will be original!! I did not get a photo of the new shaft:( prior to its going in but will have the dimensions of the new machined shaft some where to dig out if you want

cheers

Andrew

Am 80% certain I have a spare first drive shaft from the transmission to the first joint, stored near Chc

Dimensions would be interesting & the manufactures numbers of the new bearings.

Reads as if a lot of expensive work was done. No wonder you are hiding the invoice from the management.

Will email you some photos the robe cord

_____

For US readers gear box = transmission

The problem is that small things like this shaft cost lots , are essential and hidden when the car is finished, spend an equivalent amount on something large and visible eg seats/tyres, headliners -and there are fewer complaints of the "that cost how much??..type" as the goods are large and readily visible. Danny for your info the car as long as our family had it has only ever had a manual choke and the floor starter was not in use having been replaced by a push button located under the dash. These are being rectified in due course.

cheers

Andrew

Guest Grant Magrath

If it's ok with you Andrew, do you reckon I could at some stage, pop around the corner and have a look at your car please? I work out of Addington Raceway.

Cheers

Grant

Sent some photo's to Andrew of the robe cord. But do not have any good photos. Going to send out an email to some of you asking for robe cord images. My cars are in storage & the seats are well buried under other bits

Hi Guys

thanks for all the help and input. I have obtained a photo of the new main shaft that I had to have made up for the gear box/transmission and the bearing that we will use. The photo is not that good as it was emailed to me as a small file and I have had to reduce it to post it here. The old shaft was completely worn on the spiral splines in the centre and it was here that someone somewhere had "re-welded" new metal into this area with a predictable result. The "nose" of this shaft has been made a nominal 25mm and the input shaft bored out to take Torrington NA4904 bearing as shown. Like I said before there had been some serious changes and fiddling over the years with the transmission/drive shafts and torque tube so we are slowly rectifying it as we go which has involved a fair bit of machining to date(:eek:$$$) and more may be required. It may not be factory perfect but it will work perfectly.:)

Cheers

Andrew

post-92291-143141911419_thumb.jpg

post-92291-14314191141_thumb.jpg

Guest Grant Magrath

Yep! Good old Kiwi ingenuity at it's best! great in it's day, when parts were unavailable, but makes for tricky restorations today.

Cheers

Grant

Guest Grant Magrath

Popped out today for a look.

I can say the car is in very good hands! And the shop took plenty of pics of the coupe for reference. My father was hit up for some woodgraining! But he's going to advise at this stage. I was able to pass on a few contacts for parts, and left my details for the shop to call if they needed anything. Found my mate's 74 Stingray upstairs there as well! All in all, a great experience. Thanks Andrew!

Cheers

Grant

Hi Guys

Yeah Danny I might buy that part as a spare and show the invoice for that to the management! (rather than the real one.) Two of us spent about a month searching online for parts for this thing and couldn't find it. I think sometime these parts are just put away and eventually at sometime they appear for sale. If you waited for parts to appear before you started then you may never start.and sometimes you just have to bite the bullet and get on with it. Thanks for your help Grant and visit to the shop. Progress continues. Took the rear window out and found some rust which will need dealing to(its not so bad as I think the rear window probably had not been out since it was put in in the GM factory in Petone in 39.) I remember when we resprayed the car in 1993 masking up around the window then and the exterior metal was generally pretty sound. My father in law made his business with after market rust sealers and he did the car after he purchased it in 1977. I think the car has been garaged all its life and this bit(pics presented)will be sorted in due course. The steering wheel will some TLC as well. Its all time or money and if you have one you don't have the other (unless your Bill gates or Warren Buffet)

post-92291-143141923736_thumb.jpg

post-92291-143141923721_thumb.jpg

post-92291-143141923732_thumb.jpg

post-92291-143141923734_thumb.jpg