Shift Linkage Problem??

Guest shadetree77

Guest shadetree77

I noticed this today.....

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/h8GPSHl-FWk" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Not sure what the fix is, but on a 55, it has very noticeable clicks and is somewhat difficult to move by hand.

That changed in 55, earlier dynaflows had the detents or clicks elsewhere like in the steering column. For testing off the car there was an available "selector quadrant" you attached.

Willie

Guest shadetree77

Now that you mention it Willie, I do remember seeing a picture of that somewhere. It was like a cardboard cutout that looked like a piece from a pie chart with different sectors labeled to tell you what gear position the lever was in. So I'm guessing then that it IS supposed to be that loose?

I would say yes, as to Willies comment on it. The detents pictured below are typically found in the transmission. These produce the clicking or notchy feel when selecting a gear/park, etc.

post-83833-143141897272_thumb.jpg

Check your steering column for the detent. If the detent is on the column then you know the shaft at the tail of the transmission should be free moving like you have on yours. This is how I interpret what Willie is stating.

Now that you mention it Willie, I do remember seeing a picture of that somewhere. It was like a cardboard cutout that looked like a piece from a pie chart with different sectors labeled to tell you what gear position the lever was in. So I'm guessing then that it IS supposed to be that loose?

I can't find it now, but it was in publication called "Dynaflow Doctor"

Guest shadetree77

Ok, after reading the service manual a few times I gather that the detent is NOT inside the transmission. It is attached to the steering column. That, together with some other clues from a few linkage testing sections, seems to point to the fact that the shift lever on the transmission IS supposed to be loose. WHEEEEWWW!!:P I was getting worried that I might have damaged it somehow when I was rolling the trans. around to flip it over. That's a relief! Thanks guys.

.....seems to point to the fact that the shift lever on the transmission IS supposed to be loose.....

Before you re-install the torque ball assembly and bolt the tranny back behind your engine, you might want to spend some time to double-check the transmission shift lever/control shaft functions. The reason for my saying this is: your video in Post #1 above shows you 'free-wheeling' the transmission shift lever all the way forward, until banging into the transmission case, without any visible resistance; and, I do not know to what extent you disassembled, cleaned, and checked over the transmission case, hydraulic controls, oil pumps, and rear bearing retainer parts for functionality.

Both the 1952 and 1953 Buick Shop Manuals address a definite stop, spring pressure, and a spring travel distance of 1/8" to 3/16" beyond the PARKING (P) position of the transmission shift lever. See attached pic/info.

post-41556-143141907303_thumb.jpg

The transmission shift lever, attached to the control shaft, controls two functions: the first being the parking lock/pawl assembly as you mentioned in your video; and, the second function being controlling the valve operating rod in the valve/servo body assembly. Both are accessible, and the rear end of the valve operating rod can be adjusted with the torque ball assembly removed. The forward end of the valve operating rod is not adjustable (spring loaded socket/ball stud connection) and is accessible once the transmission oil pan is dropped. Did you check the operation of this spring loaded socket/ball stud connection and connecting lever at the forward end of the valve operating rod while you were 'free-wheeling' the transmission shift lever? Something is compromising the noted spring function.....a bad spring in the transmission shift lever/control shaft assembly area?

Additional details are addressed in the 1952 BUICK SHOP MANUAL, starting on page 200, paragraph 4-26.

Bottom line: once is enough for removing and rebuilding your transmission. Keep us posted.

Al Malachowski

BCA #8965

"500 Miles West of Flint"

Edited by 1953mack (see edit history)

Guest shadetree77

Thanks for the information Al. I went back and checked the shift linkage(see video). After I took the video, I measured the amount of "give" in the spring action and it seems to be way off. It measures around 1 inch. Looks like I need to read up on adjusting that. I really appreciate the help. Your posts are always incredibly informative. Thanks for your time and help.

<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/CYWrDJA65IE" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="315" width="420"></iframe>

Guest shadetree77

Update:

I messed up when I checked the spring action. When I checked it the first time I didn't have the parking lock pawl fully engaged which threw off the measurement. Something told me that I needed to check it one more time yesterday. While looking around inside the end of the trans. for the part that was to be adjusted I realized my mistake. After making sure the pawl was engaged, I checked the spring action again and it is now within spec. Looks like re-installation is a "go" for this weekend.:D

Edited by shadetree77 (see edit history)