GM Manual trans ID?

Pontiac59

Guest Bob Call

I'm thinking the 3 digit numbers 782 and 634 are Hollander Interchange numbers. My Hollander only goes to 1959 and ends at number 629. So, based on that I would say they are early 60's Chevy or Ford. Maybe someone has a newer Hollander.

That second site isn't even right; there are at least three pre-1955 GM 3-speed manual transmissions - the Chevy car type in regular and vaccuum shift variants, the lighter duty BOP with a 5-bolt top cover, and the heavy duty BOP/LaSalle with 6 bolts in the top cover. I just sold an Olds 6-bolt trans.

The one on the left looks like a 1958-64 Chevy Muncie OD. Too short for 55-6-7. Probably has a rear mount pad on the bottom.

The other one looks like a 1965-up Saginaw, 3 or 4 speed depending on number of levers.

A couple good LH side photos would really help.

• 1 month later...

The Chevy OD trans has 8741357 13 GM on the side cover. Google and Bing get me nowhere.

That second trans is a 3-speed Saginaw. The numbers seem to indicate 1970 3-speed, not worth much. GM 27 463011 on the case, GM 38 3952645 D23 ? on the side cover. It does have a stamped number in that ear on the top right rear main case, does that correlate to a car's VIN/serial?

Have two others to ID yet, here's one of them -

Pretty sure this other trans is Ford - but where do I find numbers on it? It has a lot of crap on it to try to dig through. What's broken on the right side? It had a rubber boot on it. Not the OD solenoid.

post-32129-143141981235_thumb.jpg

post-32129-143141981247_thumb.jpg

post-32129-143141981255_thumb.jpg

post-32129-143141981262_thumb.jpg

I need to round up my pictures of the '51 Ford OD trans I sold. If this is one of those, it's worth a few bucks, but if it's for a six, who knows. Some of them were toploaders.

On the possible Camaro 3-speed, the stamped code is on a machined ear on the right top of the case, this site says it should be below the side cover. Something's not right there. But the numbers add up to an early '70s Saginaw 3-speed.

Edited by Pontiac59 (see edit history)