fully enclosed shell racecar

Guest dmac257

Guest dmac257

I am looking for photos and basic information about old race cars that have enclosed shells with wheels outside the shell similar to this:

post-93157-143141883487_thumb.jpg

I saw this photo on a screen saver in a Johnny Rockets restaurant and would like to know what car it is. Web search for vague descriptions of cars didn't really help at all so figured maybe I would ask for help here.

dmac257

post-31159-143141883861_thumb.jpgI think the photo in the OP is an Auto Union or Mercedes, I know I've seen a photo somewere. This September 1934 issue of Popular Mechanics artwork shows a planned 5,000 mile two day non-stop New York to San Francisco and back to New York run...............don't think it ever happened. Bob Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Guest dmac257

not saying they didn't make one .. but all the Auto Union I have ever seen have not had a hard top shell.. never really paid attention to IF they had provision to ATTACH a hard top just never seen one in a show WITH a hard top.

dmac257

Guest dmac257
Google "Golden Submarine"

It's not the car you posted, but it's the first one ever, I think. Driven by Barney Oldfield

thanks .. that is a sweet looking car .. never saw one in a show before or I would already have a hundred pictures of it.

dmac257