Plug lead order on a '24/'25 DB

Guest occrj

Cool pictures and good thread, do you feel that you will get o the bottom of the mag problem, there has to be an answer on why it behaves as it does, there must be some breakdown somewhere and tough to believe that it cannot be found or pinpointed. Heat shield was a great idea but the cars were not originally equipped with the shield and yet they ran fine so I would be wanting to know where the problem lies and making the repair if possible.
. I have fitted heat shields to a couple of Vintage cars to stop vaporising problems. Modern Petrol behaves a lot differently from petrol even of thirty let alone 80 years ago. A number of years ago I was following 1930 Alvis 12/50 it's exhaust pipe was glowing bright red, quite a sight, something that didn't happen with low octane fuel

Heat shields are being installed on many antique vehicles lately I've noticed. A marked improvement in many cases, the modern fuel not being the entire culprit in my opinion. The boiling point of poor, modern fuel is different from pure gasoline. The alcohol content in our fuel mixes with water and will separate from the fuel itself if left standing for a certain period of time. I have seen this separation in the vertically mounted glass sediment bowls of antique vehicles. The water is of course, found in the fueling station's tanks many times, as condensate, since less care is being taken to test tanks for it and remove it. When I was younger, I used to watch a man who owned a station use a long wooden pole with a strip of Litmus paper attached to the end of the pole. He would then lower the pole down into each underground tank and test for water at the bottom. The Litmus would turn a different color if it touched water, but not fuel. If water was a factor, he would then use a small hand crank pump with a long hose attached, to pump out the water from his tanks into a small bucket. I do not see this procedure taking place anymore. I do know the higher alcohol content in today's fuel is mixing with this water and being pumped right out through the dispensing pumps into your car. The aftermath is a non-running engine or a poor running engine. To make an exhaust system "glow red" is a definite indication of the engine's timing set too retarded while driving.

I imagine it would depend on how rapid a turnover of fuel stocks the individual station has. Most urban filling stations I imagine don't hold onto their gas long enough these days for separation to occur. In rural areas, the problem could be quite a serious one.

As to the Alvis; what is it about these guys? My friend never bothers to advance the ignition on his 12/50! Perhaps there is only a limited advance available on these engines?

Ray.

It's all relative. Years ago when there was "real" gas at the stations, the turn over was the same, if not faster since more folks were driving bigger,thirstier cars and prices were much more in-line with income versus fuel cost then. Do you remember the whole family going out for long drives, just to do something and see the sights? The temperature changes with the gas and the storage units are the same today, condensation would be the same. Water will appear in those tanks. I'm sure some stations still pump out the condensate, but they must be doing it when I'm snoring in the middle of the night, OR.. it's mixing with the gasahol and we're getting it pumped into our cars! One or the other. The latter I suspect...

I know it may seem a strange thing to suggest but I think petrol smells different. I may just be imagining it but I seem to remember as a kid how petrol seemed to smell quite good. Today I can't wait to get out of the filling station. (after being ripped off!)

Ray.

Richard,

Getting back to your photos of the old garage. What is the American car with it's hood (bonnet) missing? The lighter car looks like a '39 Hillman Minx ? or perhaps a different Roots Group model? It's not that easy to tell.

Ray.

. I have fitted heat shields to a couple of Vintage cars to stop vaporising problems. Modern Petrol behaves a lot differently from petrol even of thirty let alone 80 years ago. A number of years ago I was following 1930 Alvis 12/50 it's exhaust pipe was glowing bright red, quite a sight, something that didn't happen with low octane fuel

I had not thought of this but of course it only makes sense now.

You're right Ray, the old gasoline did smell OK whereas new gas has a sharp stinging odor to it. (sort of like alcohol???) If you miss the old days, go to your local airport and sniff around-- they don't put alcohol in avgas, they know the problems it causes and it's hard to pull over on the side of a cloud when you have engine problems.

Guest occrj

Hi Ray,

The car minus bonnet is a '21 Overland, and yes the car alongside is a Minx (1946 I think, though virtually identical to the pre-war version).

Yesterday we took the tourer to another local meeting. This one involves a gentle road run/parade between two villages. The weather for the most part was warm and bright, although a couple of heavy showers certainly put the car's hood (roof) to the test!!! :)

r73.jpg

Obviously we had the hood (roof) up. The misfiring seems to be cured now, even on very hot - for us - days like we've had lately. Power is still down on hills, but overall it's getting better. I sometimes wonder how much having the roof up affects the car's ability to maintain speed on hills, after all it must act like a giant airbrake especially as I don't bother fitting the side screens.

There were a few US cars at the show (80 photos of this year's entrants for anyone who's interested may be found here: View topic - Audlem Transport Festival 2013 photos)

RJ

Thanks Richard. I am glad to hear your misfire problems have been resolved.

I like the photos; it's funny how as I get older, I get nostalgic for cars which I would never have thought worth saving years ago.

One car which caught my attention was the exotic racer which looked like it has a Jaguar emblem. What do you know about it? Could it be a famous record breaker or just a special?

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Guest occrj

That'll be the Lister, I didn't check to see if it was Jaguar- or Chevrolet-powered though (probably the former).

O/T slightly: yesterday evening was the local vintage meet again, this time big Dodge went along. I've re-done the fuel supply and touch wood it's running much better (and not coasting to a halt a few hundred yards down the road like it was doing before!).

dodge22.jpg

dodge23.jpg