1926 Buick Master Running Boards

Guest Classicjerry

Guest Classicjerry

Can anyone give me any info on materials, thickness, attachments for the running boards for a 1926 Buick Master Brougham 51. We are working on this car as a High School class project. We have front fenders that appear to be formed to have a 1 1/2" thick running board attached, but looking at Manual pictures , etc. it looks like the thickness would be roughly half that. Thanks for any help or pictures.

Jerry

Guest Rods & Relics

Hmm,

I just tried to reply to this thread for you.............. & it vanished??

anyway,

her goes again!,

The original running boards where timber yes, of about half the thickness you spoke of.

They have a steel angle that bolts to the board it self & then to the fenders underneath.

I have just made a set of steel ones for a Master Sport Touring. To be covered in rubber as original, but without the ugly ally edge stips.

The original running boards were ash. You can use any good strong hardwood but be sure to seal the surface against water and/or paint well; absolutely do not use plywood for these (I tried and it was not pretty). They should be 3/4 inch thick, however I am not sure of the other dimensions as I do not own a 1926 Buick.

Drill and countersink the top slightly with a forstner bit and use these special bolts:

Running Board Mountig Bolt

You can obtain the correct rubber for the top surface here:

Running Board Rubber 13

Correct trim is located here. You will want profile #125 in their catalog:

Running Board Metal Trim

Take Care,

Guest Rods & Relics
The original running boards were ash.

That's interesting to know. the ones I have just replaced where a much courser grain than Ash (probably some other timber used here in Australia)

You can use any good strong hardwood but be sure to seal the surface against water and/or paint well; absolutely do not use plywood for these (I tried and it was not pretty). They should be 3/4 inch thick, however I am not sure of the other dimensions as I do not own a 1926 Buick.

if it has the same wheel base as the one we have in the shop at the moment (the Sport Touring) then I can measure the new ones if need be

Drill and countersink the top slightly with a forstner bit and use these special bolts:

Running Board Mountig Bolt

yep those are the ones, though we used slightly different ones here as the car is not a concourse build (otherwise I would have made timber running boards & not steel. The car is to be well driven)

You can obtain the correct rubber for the top surface here:

Running Board Rubber 13

Correct trim is located here. You will want profile #125 in their catalog:

Running Board Metal Trim

Take Care,

The ribbed rubber covering material Bob's offers looks nice and is used by a lot of restorers. But, if you want to be technically correct, I believe the covering should be a grey linoleum. My 1926 model 47 (which is a master but a lesser model than the 51) still had the original grey linoleum under a black rubber material when I got it and I am satisfied the linoleum along with the wood under it were original. The bolts holding the board to the braces underneath the boards were countersunk and an appropriate depth dowal was used to make the hole flush with the board. As someone else noted the boards were attached the the fenders with a simple 90 degree steel bracket tapered on the outside. The trim for the running board was zink plated steel. The aluminum trim Bob's offers is an exact match to the original and it stays shiney.

Guest Rods & Relics

We have the Original Boards at work. No Lino & no zink plated edge strips.

We also believe that they are original, as I have met with the the previous long term owner a couple of times & had may a discussion about the Resto.

He has brought in photos from when he owned it. The current owner has only had it for 25 years :-)

Oh! There was just through bolts in the timber to the brackets, but as mentioned, as much as we "think" they are original, who would know & who would know what was done because it is in Australia.

On my 1930 Buick model 68 I have what I believe to be the original trim on the running boards which were replaced some 40 to 50 years ago by a previous owner. The original trim is zinc plated steel as Bob noted above. I am in the process of rebuilding/replacing my running boards and am going with an aluminum replacement in the appropriate profile from the source I listed above. Even though the original trim is in good shape physically, to be honest it is pretty ugly compared with the chrome used on the rest of the car. Perhaps my car might be docked in points for this in a national competition, but I guess I will just have to live with this faux pas.

Thanks,

Guest Rods & Relics

So it seems the running boards that where on the car at work have been replaced then. Hmmm? the previous owner would be interested to know that!

That might account for what I thought was incorrect timber & the inclusion of the tread plates.

The tread plates that where on it are an after market item (not Buick) & though you could get each manufacturers logo in the rubber insert (and still could when I last had some replaced) do show up in all of the Buick books.

Then ones that came with the car just had a plain insert.

So you have Chrome on your car then Michael ??

The only chrome on the '26 Tourer we have is what has been re-done. Everything else is just in Nickle.

Does anyone have an idea of when Buick started using chrome??

Guest Rods & Relics
Buick went from nickel to chrome on the exterior in 1930 although the interior is still nickel.

Thanks for the info

(there's always something to learn in this game!)............................... just gotta try to remember it all :-)

Guest morerevsm3

Australian built cars are quite a bit different spec on finish to US built cars, this is my '27 as my father bought it in 1969 from the original owners

Picture1.jpg

all the US literature says they were not available in these colours, but this is definitely original.

Guest Rods & Relics

And it is a South Aussie car too :-)

The '26 Master we are rebuilding is Two Tone Blue (original colour that much I know)

Guest Rods & Relics

yes, Keith.

Well, I'll be!! That is fairly close.

Who did your hood bows & top??

(the owner also does have plenty of missing parts, so any heads up on those for a '26 Sport Touring would be wonderful)

Since we hadn't started the rebuild, so we just have to sort (& source) what we can.

Edited by Rods & Relics (see edit history)

Guest morerevsm3

hood bows are the original ones, were fortunately stored in a shed, mine is '27 model, but most parts the same, I have quite a few spares, but not hood bows or rear tub bits

Guest Rods & Relics

Never mind (one has to ask!)

Thank You anyway.

We need new ones made & the upholster won't do hoods so I will have to transport it else where :-(

Cheers,

Rod.

Guest morerevsm3
morerevsm3,are you sure that your Buick is US built(depending on the color),most of the Buick:s seems to have been Canadian built that was importeted to N.Z and A.U.at that time.

Just wonder! Leif in Sweden.

I believe it has a US built chassis, Australian built body

Rod.As I wrote to morerevsm3 if you have a chassie or serial numbers with 6 digits on your frame between 100501-112845 it`s a Canadian built chassie.

If you have a frame number with 7 digits it`s USA built chassie,numbers between 1398244-1412093.

Leif in Sweden.

Guest buick35850
yes, Keith.

Well, I'll be!! That is fairly close.

Who did your hood bows & top??

(the owner also does have plenty of missing parts, so any heads up on those for a '26 Sport Touring would be wonderful)

I sincerely we had started the rebuild, so we just have to sort (& source) what we can.

You can get hood bows done at Sovereign Hill Ballarat

CHeers,

Peter Stone Mildura (27 Master)

Guest Rods & Relics

Thank you Peter!!

(though I'm having trouble working out my last line in that message??)

Do you have a company name??

(we finally got the Hood Bow Hinges free'd up today)

Working out what goes where is interesting to say the least especially as there seems to be not only stuff missing, but some is doubled up!!