Throttle Body Coolant Pipes

Guest Mc_Reatta

Guest Mc_Reatta

Anyone know a source for the two TB coolant pipes?

GM Parts Direct may have the "L" pipe 25533986 in stock, but the front "J" pipe 25533987 seems to be unobtanium.

Would like to replace both with new if possible.

Guest Mc_Reatta

Yes and yes Padgett. You did the post on the replacement "L" pipe, which while redesigned to improve it, needed to be shortened to fit, back in 2011.

Apparently that one is still available, the front "J" pipe is not.

Right now I'm leaning towards just plugging the holes in the block and doing away with them both. As discussed in that thread, the purpose of routing hot water thru the TB was for improved driveability supposedly in wintertime. Since I don't have that to worry about, I think I'll just solve the availability and leakage issues by removing them.

If an issue comes up from doing so, I will always be able to put them back in if I can find some, but I really doubt it will be necessary. I don't think this car will ever be going up to the frozen north in its future.

MC, I plugged mine on both engines I use and since it is summer only, I have had zero issues. It also makes it way easier to remove the throttle body. The holes are approximately the correct size for a 1/4" npt for the top one on the manifold and 3/8" npt for the lower one. I have had no issues tapping the 1/4" hole, but the 3/8" one on one manifold was apparently somewhat eroded, and the threads were not consistant, so the pipe plug was installed with JB Weld. Once tapped, you aren't going back to the o-ring in any case. I used flush socket head style plugs for a neater look.