4 cylinder exhaust manifold question

R.White

It seemed a bit odd to me but the left fixing bolt and centre stud on the exhaust manifold go through into the water jacket. The bolt to the right came out dry. Is this correct or is there some damage to the ends of the threaded holes?

Not a problem, just curious.

Ray.

Guest occrj

Coincidentally, I removed my exhaust manifold yesterday. All three studs came out dry, do they definitely go into the water jacket?

(I could do with a replacement manifold really, mine's been repaired but it'll do for now. I took it to the sandblaster today, I'll collect it tomorrow, give it a lick of paint and re-fit it asap - ideally before Drive It Day on Sunday, fingers crossed!!!!)

RJ

My manifold has been welded as well. Have a word with Mike. Your's is the type which ended with the introduction of the 6 volt cars which explains why mine is quite different. If I came across a better manifold I too would buy it.

Yes, the first two bolts go through to the water jacket - the third one came out dry. I had to partially drain the coolant. I think this could have been caused by someone 1) using too long a bolt, 2) oil or grease acting as a hydraulic effect, or 3) rusting away inside. As your bolts came out dry it confirms that it was not made like that! I have come across studs penetrating an oil passageway but never intentionally water. I know it is easy to damage the thin walls of the little Austin 7 engine, but the castings of Detroit iron are far more robust. I will apply some threadlock to the affected bolt & stud.

Cheers,

Ray.

Edited by R.White (see edit history)

Guest occrj

Yes I'll definitely keep my eye open for one, I hadn't realised that your manifold might be different, but with the switch to coil and 6v, it makes sense. The later 4.2 Jag XK head studs go through a water jacket, with predictable results when they get old and weak. I'll be very careful re-fitting my studs if there's a passage close by.

Guest Backyardmechanic

Be carefull when installing the front(neariest to radiator) stud as this stud screws into the valve chamber and will hit the intake valve stem in #1 cylinder and could bent the valve stem if the correct studs are used there a short thread and long tread the short thread is screw into the block.

Guest occrj
Be carefull when installing the front(neariest to radiator) stud as this stud screws into the valve chamber and will hit the intake valve stem in #1 cylinder and could bent the valve stem if the correct studs are used there a short thread and long tread the short thread is screw into the block.

Excellent tip, thanks bym :-) If all goes well I'll put mine back on tonight, it's outside with a lick of new paint drying.

Richard.