1910 ish

Guest litchfield

Guest litchfield
No idea yet what this is but the 'plowshare' fenders suggest not later than 1907.

Interesting, the car certainly could be significantly older than 1910/11. The photos seems to be oct/nov 1911. The plate is unique to 1911. This was the first year of state supplied license in Illinois. But the car is clearly older, as the license number is also stenciled on the lantern. Prior to 1911 it was the owners responsibility to somehow display the reg. number. Owners complained that the solid 1911 plate blocked airflow to the radiator, and Illinois made perforated plates for a few years after 1911. So the plate plus the fall leaves in the photo seem to allow a nice placement of this scene in time.

I'm particularly interested in the car as the driver is my great grandfather and the male passenger is my grandfather. My 91 year old mother only knows that her grand dad had one of the first autos in town.

What would power the headlights on a car like this? Kerosine?

Guest litchfield
This is a 1906 Peerless.

Thanks! That sure is it. I've already ordered some vintage ads for the car.

An awesome car for 1906, powerful and attractive....your relatives had good taste and apparently the resources to compliment the good taste!

The driver's wealthy mother-in-law died in 1905. The drivers grand daughter had to work her way through college. The more things change.............. Oh well, at least the money went for cars.

But I am proud my ancestors didn't go for those fancy windshields.

Edited by litchfield (see edit history)

• 10 years later...