64 Riviera headlight knob and questions on lifting the car...

Sweet64rivi

Question #1: My 64 Riviera headlight knob pulls off completely. Does anyone know how to repair or NOS replace? looks like the inside had bumps that are worn down allowing it to pull off the shaft or did it contain a spring inside it that held it in place?

Question #2: I took my 64 Rivi to a garage that works on older cars but he said he did not want to put it up on 'his' lift since the exhaust pipes are in the way and he did not want to lift it on the 'pinch welds'. So, he just jacked it up to work on the drum brakes. Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Kevin

My suggestions are in red in your original post.

Question #1: My 64 Riviera headlight knob pulls off completely. Does anyone know how to repair or NOS replace? looks like the inside had bumps that are worn down allowing it to pull off the shaft or did it contain a spring inside it that held it in place?

Is it just the knob or the knob with shaft? If it's just the knob, you can try some JB Weld to reattach it to the shaft. If the shaft won't stay in the switch, you'll have to take a look at the switch to see what's wrong. Could be something as simple as the button/spring are not returning to the secure position.

Question #2: I took my 64 Rivi to a garage that works on older cars but he said he did not want to put it up on 'his' lift since the exhaust pipes are in the way and he did not want to lift it on the 'pinch welds'. So, he just jacked it up to work on the drum brakes. Any recommendations?

Thank the guy for being wise enough not to use the pinch welds to lift the car. You'll just have to find a shop that has the right kind of lift. Look for an older shop that might still have an older lift. There is a thread on this forum that shows what others have done to make the newer lifts usable.

Ed

Thanks,

Kevin

It's just the headlight switch. It pulls right out/off of the shaft. So I am assuming I can 'glue' it back on?

Also, I have been having a very hard time trying to keep the rear courtesy light to stay off. Turning it full counter & clockwise. Guess the switch is wearing out?

Sounds like it just might be time for a new switch but you might to do a search of past threads about door jamb switches and how they'll cause all sorts of interior lighting problems. If the wire to the sail panel light that goes to the door jamb switch can ground out, it will turn the lights on. 12V goes directly to the light and the circuit is completed when a wire is grounded - in this case the door jamb switch grounds the wires. The posts will also infom you as to how there are three wires going into each door jamb switch and if any of them are grounded, different lights will come on. It's not hard to diagnose, just time consuming. There's a gentleman who advertises in the Riview who repairs these switches.

Thanks,

Kevin

The lift pads go on the frame. The two fronts go as far forward as possible just before the frame makes the bend upwards. The two rears go in the vicinity of where the mounting bracket is welded on for the front of the lower control arms which is just forward of where the frame starts its ascent upward over rear axle.