Trunk for 1932 Buick 67

Guest Shoe1932

Guest Shoe1932

Howdy all,

i am trying to locate the trunk for our '32 - 67. I had ours in Maryland with some of my fathers stuff and I now my brother (still there) tells me that it is not where he thought it was. I am worried that it is missing. Does anyone have a source for getting a trunk for our car if mine is lost. I am not exactly sure what ours looked like (it has been a while since i saw it). Can someone send me a photo of theirs. Also, while on this subject, our trunk rack in the up position is secured verywell. When we remove the large "bolt" so we can rotate the rack to accommodate the trunk it will not tighten back up. when looking at it the threaded hole is worn out smooth. The bolt does not stick through the bracket mounted on the inside of the rack enough to simply add a nut to the bolt. Does anyone have any good ideas on how to make it secure without tearing the whole thing apart. Would like to keep from ripping it apart if I can and go with an easier fix if possible. If not I will go the more difficult direction.

THanks in advance for your help.

Guest Shoe1932

OCM

I will measure it and get back to you. I have my brother looking in another spot for the trunk. If this one fits and ours is gone I will take that one off your hands. How much would you sell that one for if it fits our rack?

Thanks

Guest outlaw car man
OCM

I will measure it and get back to you. I have my brother looking in another spot for the trunk. If this one fits and ours is gone I will take that one off your hands. How much would you sell that one for if it fits our rack?

Thanks

PM me and we can go over it, got more pictures etc.

Sandy

Guest daydreamer1950

i have a correct trunk for your car in very nice condition. also i make the knobs for the rack and i can make a pair with larger bolts . paul 1 231 357 3009 1933 buick registry

Guest daydreamer1950

i have a correct trunk for your car in very nice condition. also i make the knobs for the rack and i can make a pair with larger bolts . paul 1 231 357 3009 1933 buick registry

Attached is a photo of a 32 Buick that was at a Great Lakes regional meet a few years back. I don't believe it is 100% correct because to does not fit the rack properly.

I have taken many pictures of trunk racks and trunks in the last 6-7 years. I have measurement for many racks, but not as much detail on trunks.

Since we live about 10 miles apart, we need to do that lunch someday.

post-30596-143141826104_thumb.jpg

post-30596-143141826106_thumb.jpg

Guest Shoe1932

Hey guys,

My brother claims that my trunk is in one of our storage units in Maryland but due to weather he has not been able to get it. I hope to have an answer this weekend. I have asked him to send me a photo and get it packed and shipped down here. Should be a costly venture. If he can't locate it I will be contacting OCM and Daydreamer50 to look at getting another one. It will kill me because ours was painted to match. I originally asked the company who hauled our Buick from Maryland to Texas to include the trunk but once they were on site they refused due to space.

Daydreamer50, I am definitely interested in having a new, larger or longer bolt made to make my trunk rack properly operate. The trunk rack is 37" wide and 16" deep. After looking at some of the photos Barney sent I am afraid that my trunk rack is backwards and also has been flipped. It has been many years since we have had the trunk on the car. My memory is that the trunk sat in the underside of the rack and the lips of the rack helped hold it in place but the photos show me that my memory might be failing me. (My admitting this would be surprising to my wife). If those photos are correct, then not only is my rack flipped but the arms which adjusts to the second hole are backwards. This has caused me to pull out my shop manual to see if there is anything in it to refer to. Another reason for my bolt problem might be that the rack is switched. Please send me photos or advice as to how my trunk rack and trunk should be mounted to the back of the car.

I am attaching some photos of the rack as it currently is mounted and hope that you guys will have some good advice as to what I have screwed up. I am also attaching some photos of the Buick.

Barney, thanks for photos. I will try to call this week to get together. You are right. 10 miles or less. We are in Oak Bluff near Forest Creek in Round Rock.

Thanks for all your help and I look forward to hearing from you guys about my trunk rack configuration.

post-86274-143141826177_thumb.jpg

post-86274-143141826182_thumb.jpg

post-86274-143141826186_thumb.jpg

post-86274-14314182619_thumb.jpg

post-86274-143141826226_thumb.jpg

Guest Shoe1932

Hello all,

One other thing. I think that our trunk, if it can be located, is green like the upper portion of our Buick. To be correct should the trunk match the fender color (black) or should it match body of the car. Or can it be either and be fine.

Sorry about all the questions.

You have the rack mounted correctly. When you fold it down the bottom of the rack without the chrome strips should be facing up. The trunk is made to sit

inside the rack not on top of it. The problem you have with tightening the bolt is that somebody stripped the threads in the rack that you screw it back into in the

down position. On my car it was not easy to get that screwed in without some playing with it so I guess whoever had your car didn't have patience. You have to

get that piece redone to accept the same bolt. Changing to a "different"size will not work unless you redo the threads in the up position hole also. Longer will not work

as it will not let the trunk inside the rack. Nice car by the way.

That red car has the wrong trunk. The 33, 34, 35 trunk is bigger and looks the same. I am looking for a 33 trunk.

Al

Guest outlaw car man

Shoe-

Don't know if this went through, mine is a Taylor trunk, not a Buick made trunk. Works well and is real classey, but not correct for a Buick, unless you can't find one.

Including some shots of my 33s' trunks/rack, might help visually- Remember these are 33 90s.

OCM

post-54015-143141826416_thumb.jpg

post-54015-14314182642_thumb.jpg

post-54015-143141826424_thumb.jpg

Guest Shoe1932

OCM,

Thanks for the photos. Nice looking cars. Did you add the Buick logo in your trunk? I am glad to see that my rack has been installed correctly. I am hopeful that I will get good news this weekend from Maryland about my trunk. Otherwise you and Daydreamer will be hearing from me.

Daydreamer1950, what color is the trunk you have for the '32 Buick? Also i will give you a call about the bolt situation. Worst case I will need to remove the rack and get a new piece with new threaded holes to install into the rack. I have never taken the rack off and don't know how the long bar which has the threaded holes in it is attached to the rack. Anyone have any experience with that. I like to know what I am getting into before starting whenever possible. Unfortunately, that rarely happens.

Thanks

Guest outlaw car man

The Buick logo is original as is the blue manufacture's plate under it, showing trunk number, color etc. Trunk is all original, 1933 80-90 series. The trunk itself , has 4 large Z or S shaped clips that secure the trunk to the rack, from the inside.

Taylor trunk the same, but has two pieces of oak that bolt the trunk to the rack, underneath.

The long bar I think you are talking about, has adjustment holes in it to position the trunk back or forward, on my 33 it's welded to the rack. I had the same problem on one, the big hand bolt was stripped but the threads were OK in the rack.

Good luck finding your trunk in Maryland, shipping these can be an expensive hassle, lot cheaper then restoring one tho. I've done both, and drove many miles to get one too. These are much easier then the Potter trunks ! ( Ford)

OCM

OCM,

Thanks for the photos. Nice looking cars. Did you add the Buick logo in your trunk? I am glad to see that my rack has been installed correctly. I am hopeful that I will get good news this weekend from Maryland about my trunk. Otherwise you and Daydreamer will be hearing from me.

Daydreamer1950, what color is the trunk you have for the '32 Buick? Also i will give you a call about the bolt situation. Worst case I will need to remove the rack and get a new piece with new threaded holes to install into the rack. I have never taken the rack off and don't know how the long bar which has the threaded holes in it is attached to the rack. Anyone have any experience with that. I like to know what I am getting into before starting whenever possible. Unfortunately, that rarely happens.

Thanks

post-54015-143141828685_thumb.jpg

Guest Shoe1932

OCM

i am hopeful that our trunk is a Buick trunk like yours. It is embarrassing to say I don't remember, but it hasn't been on the car in over a decade and is about 1800 miles from me. I am attaching photos which I hope will show the bar I am talking about. I call it a bar, but it is about 9-10 inches long and is attached to the inside of the rack on each side and is threaded for the hand bolt. I am sure we are talking about the same piece. I have the opposite problem that you had. My hand bolt is fine but the hole that the hand bolt screws into on the right side has no threads. Luckily only one hole is stripped so I am able to keep the trunk rack secured in the upright position. Will be a bummer if I get the trunk and can't put it on for while.

I will keep you posted on my trunk search. Sorry my photos stink.