Model 20 petcocks

1910Hupp

Max and I think Edgar (my two favorite Aussies) Have suggested that the engine petcocks should be 5/8 inch high.

Here are a photo of mine . They are obvioulsy way to high with a height of 1 1/2 inches from the base of the thread . Before I cut them can I confirm 5/8 from the top of the thread or the base of the thread ??

post-60857-143141777861_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Here is a photo of a cut a way view or cross section of the engine,showing proper oil level.

Of course the oil level needs to high enough for the dipper.

As I compared sizes is seems to be around the one inch ( not accurate) so I'd be tempted to leave as is . I couldn't find any spares laying around , will try to measure next oil change.

Good luck,Ken

post-59140-143141972465_thumb.jpg

Ken, welcome back from your trip!

So, according to the blueprint, the oil from the chamber on the side of engine just flows into pan?

I was always of the impression that the oil flowed down a channel into the mains.

What's correct?

OK thanks, I've not been that "deep" into my engine, the last time I glanced in the crankcase was in 1977, so couldn't remember.

Thus, the "drips per minute" that everyone discusses really isn't that important, as long as the drips are replacing the leaks as the engine runs....oh, wait a minute, the drips are very important, as these things are made to leak!!

Putter away!

Guest Edgar Bowen
OK thanks, I've not been that "deep" into my engine, the last time I glanced in the crankcase was in 1977, so couldn't remember.

Thus, the "drips per minute" that everyone discusses really isn't that important, as long as the drips are replacing the leaks as the engine runs....oh, wait a minute, the drips are very important, as these things are made to leak!!

Putter away!

Edgar here.

I set my drips at 16 per minute and check the level every 1½ - 2 hours.

• 3 years later...
Guest Edgar Bowen

Re: petcocks and the correct quantity of oil in the crankcase to stop oil being forced out of the engine. 500ml or half a litre for each pair of cylinders is what it should be. That is 1 litre of engine oil altogether and you won't have any more trouble.