Door Speaker Replacement

Guest Fleish

The tweeter and mid range speaker are mounted in the upper door panel and the bass is located in the lower door panel.

The tweeter and mid range is 7 ohms and the bass is a 4 ohm.

Newer speakers have the tweeter and mid range within the cone of the bass.

What have others done, just disconnect the tweeter and mid range and use the new speaker?

Also, the mounting holes on the bass speaker is 5-1/2 inches, is this a 5-1/4 inch speaker or 5-1/2?

Any recommendations as to brands?

Thanks

I went with an Alpine system Spr-50c in the front it has crossovers and tweeters in the rear I put speaker mountings from 90 in the rear and used Spr-69's. Also used 305-s head unit so it is dedicated to an Ipod. Wired all of it to the stock radio so it is still original. I did have to put the Alpine in the arm rest minus the insert. Sounds great and you can not see any of it. Can only turn one radio at a time.

IMHO the best replacement for the front speakers is another component speaker system. They don't need a lot of power handling capacity, 40 watts or so should be plenty, with a factory style radio, but high efficiency is a good idea. Something like 90db @ 1 watt or better. I used Polk brand component speakers in the front and Pioneer 6x9 in the rear, but that was many years ago so model numbers have certainly been superceded.

I have probably used this set up on a dozen Reattas (my own and customers cars.

Factory radio overhauled (see my website EastCoastReattaParts.com for this item)

In the front Infinity Kappa 5 1/4 2-way speakers. Just splice into the factory wires going the the door woofer. Leave factory tweeter in place.

In the rear (Coupe) Infinity Kappa 6x9 2-way speakers. (Upgrade brackets needed if installing in an 88 or 89) splice into factory wires.

In the rear (convertible) kicker 4x10" 11KS410 speakers. Splice into factory wires. They fit well with no extra mods needed.

Again, I have used this set up many times with no problems. No need for adaptors, resistors. Or aftermarket radios.