Fuel pump question

Guest Gseago

Guest Kingoftheroad

Seems to me I read here that a member put an inline electric fuel pump on his first generation Riv to assist with the very same problem... Don't remember who or what thread it was on but if you look I'm sure you'll find it. Or he may chime in here soon...

An especially good idea with today's gas and no more than the car is probably driven. Put an electric pump as close to the tank as possible and in the lowest place in the line. Push the gas to the mechanical pump and use both of them. Wire it through an IGN circuit. Turn on the key, give the pump a few seconds to fill the line and bowl on the carb. Then go through your starting process.

An especially good idea with today's gas and no more than the car is probably driven. Put an electric pump as close to the tank as possible and in the lowest place in the line. Push the gas to the mechanical pump and use both of them. Wire it through an IGN circuit. Turn on the key, give the pump a few seconds to fill the line and bowl on the carb. Then go through your starting process.

Thanks for the reply and info. :cool:

Yes I did this. There is a good spot for the electric pump at the front of the steel lines, kind of under the passenger door hinges. I put mine on a push button switch just to fill the carb. I don't leave it on all the time the engine is running.

Guest brivi65
Yes I did this. There is a good spot for the electric pump at the front of the steel lines, kind of under the passenger door hinges. I put mine on a push button switch just to fill the carb. I don't leave it on all the time the engine is running.

Oh, great idea Jim, I was thinking about that this weekend, I went to take her out and I had to spray starting fluid in first, it has only been 3 days since I drove her. What kind of pump are you running? Thanks, Brian

:cool:

Here's a link to a 1965 Riviera build. I'm hoping the link takes you to the picture of the fuel pump and related hardware that Dave used to mount his electric pump. If it is, then you can click on the right side of each picture to advance to the next step in the installation.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/1965-Buick-Riviera/149461030162#!/photo.php?fbid=392576095162&set=pb.149461030162.-2207520000.1361220099&type=3&theater

Ed

Oh, great idea Jim, I was thinking about that this weekend, I went to take her out and I had to spray starting fluid in first, it has only been 3 days since I drove her. What kind of pump are you running? Thanks, Brian

I don't know. Any pump will work.

Guest Birdman

I installed an electric primer pump on my 65. Works great.

You need a pump that has a flow-thru design.

This allows you to turn off the pump once the motor is running.

I prime the carb, start the motor and turn off the electric pump.