1936 special temp gauge and firewall insulator bolts

Guest Jeff_Miller

Guest Jeff_Miller

I'm finally getting to replacing the firewall insulator and have everything that goes through the firewall removed except for the oil and temp gauge tubes.

I appears that I can simply unscrew the oil tube but it looks like the water temp is soldered on. How does it come off the gauge? Should I remove the fitting from the head instead of trying to remove it from the gauge cluster?

The other issue I have has been in trying to find replacement bolts. All the truss head bolts I find have a head diameter that is much smaller than what was on the car. I see bobs has some "sheet metal" screws that look about right but they are only 1" long and they really don't indicate what the diameter of the head is. The one's I pulled out were cut to about 1 1/2 inches long after being installed and have about a 3/4" diameter head on them. I'm starting to look at some slotted elevator bolts as a substitute but I wondered if anybody else can tell me where to find them. I already looked locally and on several web sites including McMaster.

Thanks,

Jeff

If the '36 is like the '38, Bobs has the correct insulator screws for about $3 each. They are long and have the big head.

You have to take the temp gage tube out of the head and that can be a bear to do - it is easy to break the tubing if you are not careful. Take your time. There have been many discussions about how to get that bulb out of the head if it is stuck. (I have been lucky, all mine came right out)

If you take the gage out of the instrument cluster you'd have to make a pretty big hole in your new insulator to get the gage through it.

Jeff,

The Gauge in the Head is with a Square Union Nut on it. Normaly it isn't soldered together.

I would screw out this Nut completetly,clean it all with a very small Screwdriver and Pressair.Then use WD 40 or another Rustcracker,then try to pull and push it with short hard moving very carefull in and out.

If nothings going on,let it stay for one Night,many WD 40,and try it again. You can grip the Tube very very carefull with a Tang and a small cutted rubber Hose over the Tube. Be very carefull the Tube is soft Copper and you will squeeze it very easy together and the n it's closed and for ever damaged. Its impotant that the rubber Hose on the Tube is absolutly clean and Grease- and Oilfree,then you will have the best Result.

Good Luck.