'49 320 St8 oil filter

bhambulldog

How much of the oil goes through the oil pump on a '49?

is the '49 320 like the pre war str8 with only a trickle of oil going to the filter??

I'm asking this for someone on another forum...

his post;

No oil to filter 1949 stright 8 70 series motor just rebuilt

Motor is fresh 49 stright 8 70 series oil pump rebuilt new gears spring plunger free using a reverse rotation with drill pumping oil fine with plug removed from lower oil gallery soon as its hooked up to pump to filter it barely trickles into oil filter housing. Yes all lines are new and clear.

I believe all the oil is just going into timing cover with no back pressure to oil filter?

Could use some help, also any diagrams of oil lines -note that I am using port from distrubitor oil passage to filter- was using lower port same result.

• 2 weeks later...

The oil filter on the straight eights does not filter all the oil but only that which the engine does not demand. In short, it is not a full cycle filtration system and does not deliver all the oil to the filter before use. There is a valve in the oil pump which regulates how much is circulated to the filter based on the demand for oil in the engine. Patrick W. Brooks

Thanks for that concise explanation.

I had a '36 Buick, I knew that was true for the '36 models (if, they had a filter)

I wasn't sure if that applied to the later models.

In any event; I don't think I could have stated it as succinct and concisely as you have.

Thanks for that explanation !!

Edited by bhambulldog (see edit history)

On both of my '50s, the only oil filtered is what goes to the rocker arm assembly. The pump discharges into an oil galley

that runs from front to back of the engine, low down on the right side. A small line from this galley feeds the filter with all oil exiting the filter to the head, then to the rocker arms.

Ben