Dash Board Data Plate on 1922 Buick Coupe

Guest 22Coupe

Guest 22Coupe

The dash board data plate is missing on my 1922 Buick 2 door coupe (22-four-36). A restoration shop that reproduces these etched plates has 4 plates from this year and we are trying to determine which is the correct plate. Is there someone that could provide a picture of the correct plate? I would appreciate any help.

Thank you,

Gary

847-420-5565

According to The Standard Catalog of Buick, the 1922 Buick has a serial number tag on the rear of the frame by the gas tank and repeated on the frame behind the left front wheel. The engine number is on the left side of the crankcase. My 1922 Model 46 also has a tag on the left side of the driver's seat with the model number stamped on it. My car is an unrestored original and does not have a "dash board data plate." Is this something that only the 4 cylinder cars had?

Jim,

I think he is referring to the data plate above the right toe board.

Does your car have two frame # plates, and are they the same #????? 22 should have a frame # plate on the center of the rear cross member above the gas tank, for 23 production and the 22-54 & 22-55 the frame # is behind the left front wheel.

JB

22-6-55 Sport Touring

Guest 22Coupe

On the left side of the dash board to the left of the steering column are 4 holes where you can tell a plate has been. The plate was a rectangle with holes in the 12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 6 o'clock, and 9 o'clock positions. You can also tell that there was an "ear" around each mounting hole. I just assumed that is where a data plate would have been. If that is not a data plate, any idea what that plate would have been? The car is mostly original outside, but the interior appears to have been restored perhaps in the 60s or 70s.

Jeff,

Is the picture of the plate you posted on the toe board, is that under the dash near the firewall? I'm a little confused by what you mean by toe board.

Thanks for the help, guys

Guest 1922 Buick

22 Coupe,

Yes, the data plate in the picture is on the toe board under the dash on the right side. The toe board is where the brake pedal, clutch pedal, steering column, etc. go through. Your data plate should be over by your drivers seat.

Jeff

1922 Buick

Jeff, you are right about the data plate being on the top of the toe board on an "open bodied" car. On both my 1920 K-46 and 1922 Model 48 "closed body"

coupes, the data plate is located on the bottom left side of the driver seat frame. When a person opens the driver door it is right there in plain sight on the bottom of the seat. Why Fisher Body did some of the things like this, I do not think anyone will ever know. It has been decades since those folks doing this stuff have been gone. One can only guess at this point. The plates on my 1916 D-45 are the same way since it is an open car. If anyone ever gets this figured out please let us all know.

Terry Wiegand

Doo Dah America

• 2 months later...
Guest 22Coupe

Jeff,

Now that it has warmed up some, I looked at the right side toe board and I can see a lite rectangle impression and 4 nail holes where a plate had been. I think the plate that had been there must have looked like the one on your Buick. I have a place that will reproduce a plate for me just like your plate. The problem now is the repo plate measures 2"x 4". The impression on my coupe measures 2 3/4"x 3 3/4". I contacted the business and they said they could make the plate like yours in the new size on my coupe. I need to find out if that is correct or not. Not just for originality as $285 hangs in the balance so I must be sure what is correct. If you could measure the plate on your car I would greatly appreciate it, but from the picture I think it will measure 2"x 4". If anyone else can shed some light on this mystery I will be forever in your debt?

Thank you for your time,

Gary