39 chevy pickup decisions to make

Guest mark brock

Guest mark brock

ok, I'm new, don't be too hard on me, bought this old truck out of a pasture a few years ago that I used to quail hunt in, each time I went by it I would crank it over, my family owned the pasture next to it, I snuck over and filled the plug holes with carosene years previous, finally the cranky old buzzard either sold out or croaked, none the less, I purchaced it from the new owner, got it running, fixed a few spots, splatterd on some cheap farm implement paint to perserve it until ready to get seroius, now my neighbor has a s10 long bed he wants to part with cheap, thinking about a frame swap, vs. IFS front, nova rear, 350/350 like I did on a 37 sedan several years ago. any thoughts, I know, keep it original..... not gonna do it.

brock

Mark - I've taken note of the frigid responses you haven't received. I will comment, but only with questions.

1) You've got it running, and semi preserved with paint. Why not scout out another donor or two and rebuild it?

2) You've done a rod previously. What went right/wrong with that project? Where is it today? Will that be challenging enough?

3) Do you plan on driving/showing/racing/selling? What do you really want out of a completed truck? Who will it appeal to?

My opinion of an S10 frame under a full sized 39 Chev is that it would be too light and too narrow for the hefty 39, but with hours of welding labor, anything can be fabricated. It's all up to you. By going the hot rod route, the wealth of experience, expertise of originality and extensive brain power previously displayed by senior members of this forum, will be minimally able to assist you with your customization, modification, personalization goals of your 1939 Chervolet Truck.

Chuck

Guest mark brock
Mark - I've taken note of the frigid responses you haven't received. I will comment, but only with questions.

1) You've got it running, and semi preserved with paint. Why not scout out another donor or two and rebuild it?

2) You've done a rod previously. What went right/wrong with that project? Where is it today? Will that be challenging enough?

3) Do you plan on driving/showing/racing/selling? What do you really want out of a completed truck? Who will it appeal to?

My opinion of an S10 frame under a full sized 39 Chev is that it would be too light and too narrow for the hefty 39, but with hours of welding labor, anything can be fabricated. It's all up to you. By going the hot rod route, the wealth of experience, expertise of originality and extensive brain power previously displayed by senior members of this forum, will be minimally able to assist you with your customization, modification, personalization goals of your 1939 Chervolet Truck.

Chuck

Thanks Chuck, I to was quick to gather that I'm probably on the wrong form, I have many original builds under my belt, all but one were cars, the other truck I did was a 39 ford with a flathead 85, it turned out great, I uped the gears in rearend to achieve modern speeds needed to travel across the country, it is still on the road today and that was more than 20 years ago, I love the 30's, always have been a fat fender guy, but I drive my vehicles much farther than many, plan on taking this one up to the black hills next spring, want a dependable ride that will travel 70mph, so a re-design from the work horse of that era is in order, at least for me, the S10 I have that I was thinking about has hauled a full rick of Hedge wood with no problem, but it won't be rquired to work that hard again, tell you the truth, I've pretty much talked my self out of the chassis swap, even though many other forums are pushing it and the kits available to do so, and I've found much information about it, I bet I can do it in two days, making the brackets myself, think I'll find a IFS front, mondern rearend, motor runs good, just needs some clean up, so may rebuild the 4 speed that came out of the 37 car I rodded, and keep the 216 6 cyl for nestalgia, basically I want it to look stock, but drive modern. I come from a large farm family, they were notorious for driving something til it broke beyond an easy repair then parked them in the hedge rows to rot, over past 40 years, I've been restoring them one by one, some were pretty neat projects, all were original until the 37 2 door sedan came along and my 25 year old son got involve, btw. he gets way more money for his hot rod builds that I ever could get out of my originals, I know, its not supposed to be about the money, but thats what i do.

Guest mark brock
Go here for information on modifications....these guys are into similar building........Hokey Ass Message Board - THE H.A.M.B.

Thanks, I did find them during my original post, I think you guys are all into only original and older stuff and thats great, I have a few of them as well. drive em in parades and to coffee once in a while, got a few from the 50's and 60's that handle great, and take them on longer trips, but the 39 pickup never did handle well, just not designed for what I want to do with it, thanks again. I have talked to EZchassis, and they think between my art work and there 1940's kit we can make it happen.

Guest mark brock
Mark - can you shoot us some photos of this truck and some of the other gems you have lurking about your property. Pictures always make us smile! Thanks.

Chuck

Yes I will, I know how to attach pix to a personal email to you, but not sure how to attach to this forum, I see the attach tab, I'll try that later today, I have the 37 two door and a 68 bronco as they are my daily drivers, here, depending on weather, and of course the 39 truck in question which is my winter project, I also have a 55 cameo pickup and 39 business coupe in storage that I will get later, possibly this weekend if I travel that way,

Guest mark brock

here is some of my junk, works in progress, I live 5 miles on gravel road so all dirty, have a couple in storage that are not allowed on dirt roads, and a few more that are future builds, don't laugh at the 39 grill, my family is minonite, they throw any chrome items away because of there religious belief so I've got to hunt up all that stuff, need a 39 pickup grill but would rather have a 37 and mke it fit, the lines go up and down instead of across, I'll post some of my other stuff later

second attempt appoligize if its a repeat, not too familair with computer stuff yet.