82 pontiac grand prix

Guest izzy684

Guest izzy684

Seat belt warning light stays on, I disconnected the 2 wire connecter at the buckle base of the drivers bucket seat, no change. Sometimes it goes off normally(after a minute or so of driving). Anyone know a fix?

Edited by izzy684 (see edit history)

There might be a "passenger sensor" in the seat cushion springs. It should be on a time-delay module, anyway. Be glad you don't have the buzzer to deal with when the light is on!

When the seat belt buckle is inserted into the receptacle, it either "makes" or "breaks" the light circuit to turn off the warning light. Perhaps you should try connecting those two terminals to see if it would turn off the light?

Just a thought,

NTX5467

Guest izzy684

no sensors, have had bucket seat out previously. Used a jump wire across the connector, no change. Any chance the floor shifter affects the warning light?

Seat belt warning light stays on, I disconnected the 2 wire connecter at the buckle base of the drivers bucket seat, no change.

Disconnecting that connector is the same as not buckling the belt. You need to SHORT the terminals in that connector. However, as others have noted, I suspect the problem is elsewhere in the system.

Guest izzy684

Thanks Joe. I have used a jump wire across the connector, no change. I could just remove the speedo cluster and take out the bulb, but the car is 100 percent original and I like everything to work. What else is in the warning light system? When the light works normally, it slowly fades to off, not just on/off.

Edited by izzy684 (see edit history)

Guest izzy684

no. been in family since new. Today it was rainy, and it worked fine, like you said, maybe a bad ground, no idea where to even start looking for a bad ground. GM did a lot of playing around with seatbelt systems etc. in the 70s and 80s, need a schematic for the seatbelt circuit

Guest izzy684

you are correct Commodore. And while this is not the malady of the century, its just one of those things that aggravates.Ive got a Chiltons for it, but they are pretty much useless on technical stuff. Im new to this Forum stuff, just hoped someone might know. Thanks to you and everyone else that has tried to help,

Guest Commodore

I guess I should been more specific. I meant the Factory Shop Manual. Those aftermarket manuals like Chiltons are worthless. The Factory Shop Manuals have things like wiring diagrams and checkout procedures.