1937 Pontiac Touring Deluxe 6 - Question with remote oil filters

kookie1

Hi guys, I'm new here.

I've have my grandfathers 1937 Pontiac Deluxe 6 Touring 4 door from my uncle before he died. It's in pretty good shape due to the fact gramps wouldn't drive it if it was raining, even on Sunday!! My dad said they had to walk to church if it was raining. Ha! The car has about 35,000 miles on it. It sat on the farm in a wooden shed, with a dirt floor, barely big enough for the car alone. I've replaced all the brake hoses and flushed the lines. Shoes look good enough to drive when I repacked the wheel bearings with grease. Anyway, my question is has anyone here installed a remote oil filter on this 223 cu.in. engine? I'd like to install one but I don't see any oil lines to the cam shaft that I can interrupt to add the filter between. :confused: Any help would be appreciated! Thanks. Paul

hi paul, you should look near the bottom of the right side of the block for four oil gallery threaded plugs, one might already have the oil pressure feed line for the oil pressure gauge. you can remove one of the other three to feed oil to the bypass oil filter, and return the filtered oil to the engine at the engine side cover or like i did on a straight eight, to the side of the oil filler tube. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

I see them now, thanks Charles, and the right side looks like it has more room on the 6 cyl. than the distributor side has so I'll probably make a bracket to attach it to there. While looking around for an attachment location I see this shutoff cock, see attachment pix, between the distributor and oil filler tube. What is it for? I'd guess to drain water from the block but I don't know. Wouldn't the radiator drain cock do that well enough? I was thinking about using that spot to anchor my bracket but it's a little too cramped there anyway. Is this drain cock something I need to watch or replace? And one last question: What size id oil line do I need to efficiently send oil to the filter? Is larger better or maybe it doesn't matter? I'm thinking about keeping everything attached to the engine to avoid having to use rubber hose which I'm not crazy about. Thanks again. Paul

post-90210-143139321522_thumb.jpg