Headlight reflector polish

Beltfed

The headlight reflectors are yellow/discolored and light output is dim at best. I have read that the reflectors may be polished with 'lamp black'. As I am fresh out of lamp black;) I was thinking of using baking powder or something like that to polish. What have you used to shine these puppies up? Thanks.

Instead of a candle how about the soot from an acetylene setup with the oxygen turned off? Thanks.

That sounds like a great source of lamp black.

Re-reading your original post, I am wondering if the original silver has been worn away over the years and that yellowing is the underlying brass starting to show through. If so then cleaning and polishing might not get you where you want to be. Worth a try though as it is cheap and easy to do first.

I don't know yet as I've only looked through the lens. The amount of light being emitted make me not want to drive after dark. I'm dealing with other issues right now (see my postings). I took most of yesterday just making the pieces that hold the wiper towers to the cowl. Today the gaskets and so on. Thanks.

I just found this on another forum and it maybe the ways to go.

Model A Ford Garage ~ Cleaning Silvered Plated Model A and B Reflectors

maybe even a tech tip.

Sounds like an interesting process and worth trying.

However if the silver has been worn off over the years you'll be looking at repair rather than cleaning. You may also have corroded contacts and wires that will dramatically reduce your light output. My whole saga on lights for cars of that era is at How good can those antique car headlights be?

If you have time and dont mind spending a little money on your reflectors, I have the email to a place in Oregon that applies aluminum to your reflector under some process that they use for NASA equipment. once applied it never needs polised and the light given off by a 50cp light is as bright as any new car with halogen.

The only problem is the expense. You first have to get your reflectors resilvered then send them to this place and they do their magic and then return them. I think it is another 125 per reflector. If its something your interested in PM me and I will post it here.

I plan on having it done to my 32 Buick as soon as I have the money and time to do it.

If you have time and dont mind spending a little money on your reflectors, I have the email to a place in Oregon that applies aluminum to your reflector under some process that they use for NASA equipment. once applied it never needs polished ....

That would be Uvira. I had my reflectors done by them decades ago and they are still good. I mention them on my web page and give contact information. Link was posted in an earlier response on this thread but I'll link again: How good can those antique car headlights be?