1936 Buick Two-Door Series 40 - Suspension Question

Guest jdsax85

Guest jdsax85

In December of last year (2012) my parents landed me a 1936 Buick two-door Series 40 (trunk back). The vehicle was driven into my mom's friends' barn in 1974 and made its way to my garage (on a trailer of course) where it sat for a year while I decided which direction I wanted to go with the vehicle. About a month ago, my dad and I started disassembling the car as I planned on "chopping" the top. Last weekened, we got the fenders, hood, front clip, and radiator off the car to find out the engine is free. I was initially planning on turning this into a street rod but can't bring myself to bastardize the car as it's in amazing condition for its age. I've opted to keep the original engine and drive-train, do away with the "top chop," keep the 6-volt system (thank you all for your advice on that subject), and refinish the factory wheels with the wide white walls. With that being said, my "non-negotiable" is lowering the car. I'm not interested in chopping up the frame and wonder if any of you had success lowering a car like this without breaking the bank and totally sacrificing the ride. If so, how did you do it? If you haven't done it, but know how one could, how would you go about it? Thanks for your help and insight on this topic.

- J.D.

• 3 weeks later...
Dropped 2" spindles from fatman if they go back that far. I used a pair on a 40 special. Rich

If I know right then you need also new Brake Wheel Cylinder in Front,because then they must be with a angled Thread for the bleeding Screws. OEM they are straight 90° and will doesn't fit with the drop Spindles.

Just my 2 Cents.

Greetings

Use "Lowering-Blocks" for the rear. That way, the suspension could always be returned to original for the next owner who would appreciate the car for what it is. That way you can have your pleasure with it, and the so can the next guy.

For the front, you might just consider a shorter coil spring, or a set with softer rates, and not have to change anything else -- a bit "old-school", but safe, simple, cost-effective, and easy to reverse later on.

Thanks for not chopping it up in the first place.

Just me.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jdsax85

Thanks for all your replies. You were all correct. 2 1/2" drop spindles from Fatman are about $405/pair. Lowering blocks from Speedway are around $35/pair. I appreciate all of your insight.

- J.D.