1933 Buick - Need help to indentify and price out

CharlesK

hey guys,

i have been thinking of adding to the collection of pre war buicks, i have found a 1933 Buick that i was thinking of buying.

could you guys help me out in terms of what kind it is, what it's worth and how much i should offer the guy

$%28KGrHqJ,%21gwFBLNyovrPBQ,Lt72sDw%7E%7E48_35.JPG$%28KGrHqRHJCoE+h%28nFVsjBQ,Lt+t6-Q%7E%7E48_35.JPG$T2eC16hHJGwE9n%29yVTnvBQ,LuEbC%28w%7E%7E48_35.JPG$%28KGrHqNHJFYE+,N98%2105BQ,LuIygiQ%7E%7E48_20.JPG

Thanks guys!

Charles,

I can only offer these few bits of info.

First, those are sure some interesting wheels if there are no other modifications to this car. So there may be some interesting modifivstions sto the hubs, etc. The passenger side mount spare seems to be wire wheel, but not sure about driver side which may be a later steel wheel.

You will need to find the tag on the firewall for the model number, but I am thinking this is a smaller series car, but I base this on my knowledge of the year prior - 1932. The larger seres '32s have a bar across the front between the frame at the "cowcatcher".

Also, there should be "parking" lights on the front fenders.

Too bad you did not include a photo of the engine bay. This might better indicate the series and hence model number for a 4 door sedan.

It could be a nice car, but one of those too far from the original to be a "survivor" and hence a full restoration needed, or partial to make it a driver.

You might want to check the doors for sag, but it looks like the wood frame is good. The glass is all flat so if it is missing you should be able to replace with safety glass, but patterns would be important, as it seems some is missing.

I would not offer any idea on value as exists or after restoration or whatever, unless any missing stuff is discovered in the garage, or nearby.

John

Guest outlaw car man

Looks like a model 57, 4 door sedan. Value, not a clue from 4 pictures. Looks like it might even be sitting on another frame ??? These 33 Buicks are rare, if you plan on taking it back to original, you have a long expensive road, assume you know that. Fun project tho- Good luck

OCM

The price is determined #1 by the condition of the wood in the body; and then #2 by which series it is. A 50-series 4-dr. sedan is the cheapest and most plentiful '33 Buick, but they are all quite rare due to Buick's low production in 1933. You need the firewall data plate model # or the wheelbase measurement to determine which series it is.

Pete Phillips

Leonard, Texas

OCM may be correct about the chassis, as there may have been an attempt to build a modified car. The from frame, I think, should protrude a bit from the sheet metal for bumper attachmment and there is no clear photo of the rear of the car as there seems to be some sheet metal missing there (possibly including the gas tank and shroud.

John

Guest Rob McDonald

ABSOLUTELY, that was my first thought - what kind of frame has been decorated with this lovely body? Wild guess - S10 Chevy. Hey, maybe you want a redneck hot rod, in which case this could be a pretty good start. Just don't pay any real money for it. I say $1000, tops, and that's only if it's drivable.

Rob,

It certainly does look like it. I am afraid, as it was never "finished", a previous owner probably found some "compatiablity' problems. More photos would help to know for sure, It might be an interesting project to get back to original, depending on what parts might be available with the car.

CharlesK,

If you do not pass on this, we would like to know more, and if you do pass, could you contact me direct at j.scheib@comcast.net. I might know someone who may be interested. It sure looks like a good solid body, but I think of the small series.

John

Edited by jscheib
spelling (see edit history)

• 2 weeks later...

the 33 Buick in an interesting car. Tons of wood and expensive to restore. I have a friend in Florida just finishing a 16 year restoration of a Series 57 Buick like this one. His was a driver when purchased and he still had to buy a oarts car to do the restoration. I was amazed at the amount of wood compared to my 35 which took half the national forests to restore. Pete Phillips above gave good advice on determing value.

Paul,

Thanks for bring this thread to the top, again.

I hope we have not scared CharlesK away from the forum. as I (for one) are quite interested to know what this car actually is. As someone said, it is a wonderful body and there was a degree of creativity in the modifications that deserves some discussion. I hope we hear from Charles if he is pursuing the car.

John

Guest outlaw car man
the 33 Buick in an interesting car. Tons of wood and expensive to restore. I have a friend in Florida just finishing a 16 year restoration of a Series 57 Buick like this one. His was a driver when purchased and he still had to buy a oarts car to do the restoration. I was amazed at the amount of wood compared to my 35 which took half the national forests to restore. Pete Phillips above gave good advice on determing value.

Took me about 5+ years to put back together a 33 90, had a lot of parts to start with. I try and keep one each of the important parts for my 90. The 90 is an odd car, lots of interesting parts not found in others-

If anything, this would be a good parts car but looks to complete. I always thought it would be cool to find a 90 parts car and do a resto rod on it, won't happen I'm affraid-

Paul good picture of the 34 ford in Cordoba Gray, I did a cloned Bonnie & Clyde car in that color, original to the real one, fordor tho. A lot of people do the wrong Cordoba gray and do tan thinking it's the same- Opp, off subject a bit-

Hope this thread continues-

OCM