Modern radio sudden problem in a 6volt car??

Guest jimstulga

Guest jimstulga

'41 Cadillac all original 6V car with a modern Sony radio /cd player installed by me. (FYI it's in a very subtle place without doing any damage to the car; didn't even drill a single hole.) Worked fine for a long time with its 6V converter, but now it has terrible sound interference when the motor is running. Sounds great with the motor off and only ignition on. I have this same unit in another 6v car of mine, but not this problem. Don't use the radio, only cd's and the plug for my Ipod. I don't know where to begin to look.

Bob is right on target, but did you do a tune-up at about this time?

Changes in parts could have made that difference.

Do you have copper stranded, or Radio Noise Suppression (commonly called Resistor) spark Plug Wires?

In the 1970s, when CB radio was the big thing, ignition static was a major concern,and one of the fixes, was to replace the entire length of the wire used as to power source with a high-quality length of co-axial cable. The center lead is used as your power source, and the braided shielding was left in place with the ends twisted and attached to the metal case of the radio and to the ground source next to the power source. this shielding typically eliminated even the worst ignition static.

Another benefit is that, with the antenna hooked up, you will also be able to use the AM-FM radio in your Sony.

Your 1941 Cadillac, if original, is 6-Volt Positive Ground. Does your converter allow for this?

post-54863-143139273241_thumb.jpg

post-54863-143139273243_thumb.jpg

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)

Guest jimstulga

Bingo!! I did just have the spark plug wires changed along with a tune up. I can try the co-axial cable solution and see how it works. Thanks!! Jim

Jim,

Thanks for the "BINGO" response. I hope the "Co-Axial" solution does resolve the problem.

My guess is that the old Spark-Plug Wires were Resistor / radio Noise Suppression, and that the new ones are Copper-Stranded which may yield better voltage to your plugs, but possibly be the source of the Ignition Interference.

Please let us know how you fare, and which course you follow.

Marty

Guest jimstulga

Well.....co-ax isn't as easy as I thought when I got under the dash to look. The power supply wire starts from the ignition to an in line fuse then out to the 6V power converter. Converter has two wires out the other end for ground and to the radio itself. Just to see, I ran a wire directly to the battery for power instead of to the ignition. Great with the motor off and horrible running. I'm hoping a noise suppressor offered by Soundmove will help, if someone there ever answers the messages I've left with questions about ordering one.

If I did try co-ax cable, can it be found with a center wire equal to the 14 gauge wire I have? What about the interference from the area where I splice it in or attach it to the ignition screw? At first this seemed like a simple problem, but not so.

Jim,

Just for grins, try the co-axial cable directly from the 6-Volt battery to the radio with no converter, no switch, no fuse, etc. many times a 12-volt radio will work on a 6-volt power supply. When it does, you can work your way backward.

You could also change back to your old plug wires (probably Raio Noise suppression) as a trial, and if that works, maybe you did not need ned wires, or you could get a new set like the old ones.

Let us know what happens...

Marty

Guest jimstulga

This should raise a few chuckles... I tried the co-ax directly to the radio minus the converter and looks like I fried my radio. Now, it's dead even when I put the original power supply wiring back as it was. I have all winter to try and find a dealer who sells good new radios for vintage cars that can remain hidden from view. The trick is finding someone knowledgeable to talk to instead of getting connected to India or someplace where all they know is how to process an order. I only want a unit for cd's and my ipod, don't need the radio. I could always go back to the old days when I simply had a boom box next to me on the front seat.

Jim,

Remember that your car is, or was delivered as Positive ground. When you blew the fuse, did you by chance hit the wrong terminal? I've seen several cases where a 6-Volt system works a 12-volt AM/FM/CD/Tape unit.

The co-ax is still a good suggestion, but use it Battery to converter, and converter to radio.

You should still go back and either test with your old sparkplug wires, or use noise-suppression wires.