Packard parts for sale

Guest lingmar

Guest lingmar

3 nice Packard parts I've reproduced.

1st: disc wheel lug bolts in stainless steel.Exact copies, not stubby headed jobs like others have. $9.00ea. in sets of 28 or 32.

2nd: trunk rack locking bolts and cones in stainless. Precisely as original. $50.00/pair-4pcs. 2 bolts and 2 cones.

3rd:'30-'31 std. 8 grill shell to radiator sealing collars in bronze. Clamps rubber washer to filler neck. $75.00 ea. A must if you're going to

work on your radiator.

Contact directly; mdlbandc@comcast.net for pics

What is the difference between the lug bolts for disk wheels,

and the lug bolts for wire spoke wheels?

I currently have wires, but am considering using a spare set of disks.

Thanks in advance for any reply.

Will my longer-thread wire-wheel lug bolts work if I mount the disk wheels on my Wire-wheel car, or do I need to have a spare set for the disk wheels.

My wire wheels look great, but I recently bought a complete spare drive-line, including axles and wheels.

Wheel balance is not great with the wire spokes, and I'm hoping to use the disks for longer distance, higher-speed cross country touring. The car has already been awarded AACA Senior and Preservation recognition.

Marty,

Only one way to find out, I just tried it. My car (633) has disc wheels but I have a couple of wire wheel lug bolts so I tried one and it bottomed out on the thread at least 1/2" before it tightened on the wheel. The disc wheel lug bolts are 1 5/16" long and the wire wheel bolt are 2" long. Unfortunatley you will need a set of the shorter bolts for the disc wheels.

David

Marty

Does your car have 19 or 20-inch wheels? I always wanted to do that with the speedster, but I assumed there was more to it than just swapping wheels and lugs. I thought the hub and possibly brake drums had to be replaced as well. (????). Is it as simple as just swapping wheels (and lugs)?

I love the look of disc wheels if they're painted and striped properly. Of course, black tires always improve the look as well. :) Can't wait to see your car after the swap.

David,

You checked the potential swap on a car which originally had Disk Wheels. I wonder if there is a difference in the hub assembly? Mine is currently a Wire-Spoke Wheel car.

Did you bolt the wire-wheel lug bolt through a wire wheel? Or did you bolt the wire-wheel lyg bolt through a disk wheel?

There could be a difference in the wheel itself necessitating the difference in length, or it could be in the hub assembly.

Regrettably my wheels are not where I can get to them (a thousand miles away).

Were you able to bolt the wires directly to the disk hubs (other than the length of the bolts). I believe that both are seven lug with 3-inch spacing center-to-center, and a 5-1/2 inch regisration center hole.

West,

My 733 has 20-inch wheels, and I now have the complete driveline from what was Bob Thurstone's 733 convertible coupe, his tour-driver. I was saddened to leard that a perfectly good all-original open Packard was going to be "modernized", but at least the removed components will be maintained here for potential use. Betty knows that they are here.

Yes, it appears that simply swappping wheels (and lugs) is all that is required, as well as chroming the lock rings, paint and striping, and new tires, tubes, and flaps -- let's see -- for six (6) wheels, that could easily get us to the $4,000 - $5,000 range, depending on plater, painter, striper, tire supply source, $9 x 32 lugs (including 2 for each sidemount).

post-54863-143139281022_thumb.jpg

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--> Marty,

Did you bolt the wire-wheel lug bolt through a wire wheel? Yes, many years ago, see below.

Or did you bolt the wire-wheel lug bolt through a disk wheel? I did that as well the other day in response to your question, the longer lug bolt was far too long for the disc wheel.

Were you able to bolt the wires directly to the disk hubs (other than the length of the bolts). Yes.

I have 2 / 633's which have 8 lug 20" wheels, one car originally had disc wheels the other originally had wires, I restored both from derelict wrecks and only had a total of 2 wire wheels, I eventually settled on discs for both as that was all that I found. The wire wheels and the disc wheels were interchangeable providing the longer lug bolts were used for the wire wheels. I don't have those wire wheels anymore so I can't measure them but my recollection is that the extra length was required because hubs of the wire wheels were thicker (wider) at the centre for the spokes. I had the two wire wheels bolted to one of the cars when I was restoring it and had hopes of finding enough to make a set.

As I am sure you already know the hub caps are quire different between wires and disc wheels.

Also I have seen a 6th Series car with wires on one side and discs on the other - yes I am serious!! Not my idea but it demonstrates that wires and discs are interchangeable (except for the lug size).

David

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0cm 5.4pt 0cm 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0cm; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

David,

Fortunately I was able to aquire the spare 733 complete running gear with front & rear axles, hubs, brakes, wheels, etc -- the correct lug nuts may be included, and I'll have to check on their condition, since it may be more expedient to buy new stainless from lingmar, than to re-Chrome old ones.

Thanks for your advice and research,

Marty

On the 1928-29-30 cars I have traded wire , disk and wood,,with their bolts ok,,,Wood need different trim rings over the hubs,wire ,different hub caps and covers on end,,

Oh yes once put a set of 19" wires in place of 20" wood,,to make a sale,,The woods were on a LeBaron limo,,[645]

Put the engine in a Dietrick victoria,,and sold the '30 coupe[740],,and I ended up with a 443 Runabout,,and limo

Those were the days,,,Ben