1933 66S engine photos needed.

PhatCat

Hey Guys just starting finally on my 33 66s that I've had in the garage for two years waiting for money.

A friend and I are going to start on the engine over the next couple months and a few things aren't quite right,oil filter for sure and would love to have a few photos of a restored motor. The shop manual is not near as detailed in the old black and whites.

Any help would be appreciated. And I'm sure I'll be back with a hundred more questions.

Thanks Heath Henery

Nebraska

PhatCat,

You probably know, heaters were an option often added by tghe dealer, or after market. You may find holes were drilled through the fire wall, and often included the ID plate, creating a problem for the owners. As I look as outlaw's engine, I believe it does not have a heater. Depending on your plans for the car, you may not want to bother with the heater. I will get some photos of my '32 if someone does not answer this before I get to it.

John

Edited by jscheib
spelling (see edit history)

Guest outlaw car man

probably a lot easier for me if you send what you have & I can compare-

john is right, one of my 90s had a heater, other did not.

Ok, that make since I will try to get some pictures here.

Got to taking apart my water pump and ordered a kit for it. But the bigger problem is the oil cooler "Box" ........ man it's really rusted out on the thin top side that has the large Buick logo on it. I'm going to post to see if anyone has one of these to sell. Are they the same on all models ?? The old guy before had also just disconnected the thing and threw away the honey comb interior. It must not be nessassary ????? I think he must have drove it short drives and figured it didn't need a lot of the extra stuff. The heat riser had been blocked off on the manifold. and the oil filter was no longer hooked up correctly either. Again I'm not sure of the door handles, was there just one style.

Thanks for the input.

Heath

It's not unusual to find what you have on the oil cooler. More driver cars are bypassed than working correctly. With modern oil, the cooler is not near as critical as they thought in the early thirties. On the cover, for decorative purposes, you can super clean the metal piece and then braze a layer of metal onto the cover to keep it from corroding through. Good covers are virtually impossible to find. Some cores occasionally show up as NOS on ebay. I have not seen any NOS covers however.

There are 3 sizes of coolers, 50, 60, and 80/90 series. 1932 and 1933 are the same.

It's important to have the correct size oil lines to and from the oil filter. Lines too large will let too much oil to the rocker assemblies at the expense of the bottom end. These cars did not have full oil filtering only a portion of the oil went through the filter.

Bob

What would be considered the correct size line to and from the oil filter as I don't have anything to go by on my 33, they were plugged.

I still need some up close pictures of 1933 model 66 exterior door handles so I know what I need for my car. John Henry from the Mass. Chapter doubts mine are original.

Thanks

Heath, You guys are great info.

Guest outlaw car man

This should help you-

What would be considered the correct size line to and from the oil filter as I don't have anything to go by on my 33, they were plugged.

I still need some up close pictures of 1933 model 66 exterior door handles so I know what I need for my car. John Henry from the Mass. Chapter doubts mine are original.

Thanks

Heath, You guys are great info.

post-54015-143139285027_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
post-47476-143139294783_thumb.jpg I'm not sure what type of car these door handles came from but they are not even close to the ones that should be on this car I guess. Here are some other photo s of the engine. If anything else jumps out at you guys as not right let me know please. PS yea the water pump is off getting rebuilt right now. Any tips on pressing out the old brass sleaves and re pressing the new ones in ?

post-47476-14313929477_thumb.jpg

post-47476-143139294776_thumb.jpg

post-47476-143139294778_thumb.jpg

post-47476-14313929478_thumb.jpg

Guest outlaw car man

Everything looks fairly complete in the engine, you said you have the pump off. In general looks like a nice car, a lot of little things missing, but you may have those in a box somewhere, a lot of the rare stuff is there, that's good.

OCM