'29 ERSKINE TAIL LIGHT

Guest Ray E. Beardslee

Guest Ray E. Beardslee

I am a volunteer with the san Diego Automotive Museum and we are restoring a 1929 Erskine. We are looking for a complete tail light. If no one has one for sale or a lead, at least we could use a good photo of one so we can search at the swap meets. Will need more small parts in the future. Thanks Ray Beardslee

The Erskine cars are pretty rare as well as their literature. I have what I believe is a 1931 brochure that I scanned and attach to this response. Unfortunately the tail light is only illustrated on the full side view of the entire car so it is not very helpful. I think the tail light is similar to other period Studebakers except the upper "Stop light" lens has the word Erskine molded in the red glass, a tough item to locate at this age.

I also attached 3 photos of 1930 Studebakers, the two Victorias are President 8 cyl models and the other view is a 1930 Commander 8 model. The Presidents have the large Red "Stop" glass lens on top and the bullet shaped round Red "Tail Light" lens at bottom. The Commander has different shaped lower "Tail Light" lens. These images should give you the style tail lights used on Studebaker products at that time. All of these tail lights have a downward facing clear lens that sheds light on the cars license plate.

Stude8

[ATTACH=CONFIG]161377[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]161378[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]161380[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]161368[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]161369[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]161370[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]161371[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]161372[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]161373[/ATTACH]

post-30776-143139242899_thumb.jpg

Here is one that sold on Ebay on 3-15-04. The name ERSKINE is at the top behind the glass as shown. The late 1928 and all '29s were the same. Fancier models had all nickel shells but most were black with the nickel rim. You might want to contact Sandy Olson at Olson's Gasket in Port Orchard, Washington. He has a nicely restored '28 and it has the same tail light. He would likely share a photo with you. His email is info@olsonsgaskets.com Incidentally your '29 is referred to as a model 52.

Guest Ray E. Beardslee

stude8,

Thanks for your quick reply. At least now we have a picture of what to look for. I really appreciate the info. Ray

Ray,

I have a tail light from a 1924 Big Six. It has a similar design face. The location of the mounting studs would have to be modified and it will need a new lens for the license plate. Let me know if you are interested.

Scott

smrdeza@lentel.com

post-66547-143139244933_thumb.jpg

post-66547-143139244939_thumb.jpg

post-66547-143139244946_thumb.jpg

Edited by Stude Light (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Ray E. Beardslee

Hi Stude8. Last week I found a tal light for our '29 Erskine from a friend locally. The mounting bolts are horizontal instead of vertical but we modified the bracket to match, it will work fine. Thank you for your info, it helped a lot. Ray