rear window trim clips. Nearly extinct?

Guest winfield

Guest winfield

I have a '64 w/ a fair amount of rot around the rear window. (Hey, I bet that never happened before.) Anyway, the clips that hold the outside trim surrounding the window are badly decomposed or missing. Haven't had much luck finding them via OPG, Cars Inc. or Hemmings. Mr G can't tell which one would be correct and the local body shop doesn't have any. Anyone out there have a resource, an I.D., or know if other clips fit this application?

Thanks, Winfield :confused:

Hi there. Bought a set of clips for my -63 less than a year back, had the same trouble finding them. But, there is salvation available: Talk to a company called " Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc" (Restoration Specialties & Supply, Inc. | Windber, PA 15963). They were their part number #8184, a buck a piece.

So if the -64 clips are the same as -63 which I assume, there´s your fix.

OK Mr. Winfield: I have done a few back windows. First. Remove it all clean the channel and do the rust work. The 67 El Camino has a similar channel (so I've been told) and my body guy purchased the re-pop and cut out pieces and welded them in....looks pretty good. Second. Before paint, drill the holes for the screws that hold the clips and make sure the height with the clips is correct or else the molding will be too high or sunk down. Third. After paint use that 1/2 inch window dum dum and place the glass on that. After that process, including using the alignment blocks, use 3-M "Window Weld" with a calk gun around the inner and possibly outer perimeter of the window.

Mine doesn't leak and looks pretty good. Good luck, Mitch.