1941 buick special series 40 se

Guest jubeenemo1941

Guest jubeenemo1941

Just wondered if anyone knows where the fuses are located in the 1941 buick series 40 . I dont have any interior lights on the dash, speedometer temp gauge fuel gauge, etc, plus my dome light. Does anyone know where to change them, the guy i bought them fun thinks it might just be a fuse, he left me a few but i dont knwo where they are located thanks again,

I think if you look up from under the steering wheel, behind the dashboard you'll find a few. You may also find a few right in the line ( wire) to the affected unit. You probably need a manual to see the wiring diagram for which would be which. But have you checked the bulbs before proceeding? Also remember this is a 6 volt system. If nothing else this will mean the wires are unusually thick, and if they are still the original wires, I would caution you to avoid pushing them around too much due to issues with broken or cracked wire insulation. I also do not know if 6 volt systems require 6 volt light bulbs, but I would think that is the case.

Guest Straight eight

Here is a page from the owners manual showing some information. Manuals and parts can be obtained from bobsautomobilia.com.

The reason that synthetic brake fluid is troublesome in Buicks is because the stop lights are wired into a switch that is exposed to the brake fluid used, and the contacts will fail on a regular basis if Synthetic fluid is used. This required replacing the switch on a regular basis.

Buicks have their own characteristic, and studying manuals and this forum is highly recommended.

post-30843-143139208339_thumb.jpg

Guest jubeenemo1941

Thanks for the info.so your telling me don't use synthetic brake fluid. What about dot 5 silicone brake fluid.? Or your saying just reg dot 3 brake fluid? What do you suggest? ThNks again jeff

eight;1088111]Here is a page from the owners manual showing some information. Manuals and parts can be obtained from bobsautomobilia.com.

The reason that synthetic brake fluid is troublesome in Buicks is because the stop lights are wired into a switch that is exposed to the brake fluid used, and the contacts will fail on a regular basis if Synthetic fluid is used. This required replacing the switch on a regular basis.

Buicks have their own characteristic, and studying manuals and this forum is highly recommended.

Guest Straight eight
Thanks for the info.so your telling me don't use synthetic brake fluid. What about dot 5 silicone brake fluid.? Or your saying just reg dot 3 brake fluid? What do you suggest? ThNks again jeff

eight;1088111]Here is a page from the owners manual showing some information. Manuals and parts can be obtained from bobsautomobilia.com.

I have used DOT 3 for over 20 years in various old Buicks with no problems, and would reccomend it's use exclusively in the brake system.

Guest jubeenemo1941

I'm just asking because a friend of mine an older gentleman has a few old cars not a Buick he has a Chrysler Plymouth 32 37 . Hse the one that told me about the silicone that it lasts longer and less build up of moisture in the cylinders.is the dot 5 silicone OK to use? The dot 3 and 4 synthetic I was going to until you told me now. So you think the dot 5 silicone which I don't think is synthetic but not sure.because I'm getting g brand new cylinders and a .master so using the silicone would last longer than the dot 3. But do you know what other people with 30s or 40 Buick owners are using? Is it a common problem w the stoplights like you said? Sorry for the long reply I'm getting it done this weekend so I have to make my decision thanks Jeff.

QUOTE=Straight eight;1088218]

I have used DOT 3 for over 20 years in various old Buicks with no problems, and would reccomend it's use exclusively in the brake system.

Guest Straight eight

Where does the moisture go? It is in the air, and also sucked into the brake lines each time you apply brakes. DOT 3 absorbs the moisture, and the others do what with the moisture? Over the years DOT 3 seems the most reliable, and if you

bleed the brakes every 10 years or so, you're home safe, and have spent a lot less for brake fluid too.

I guess you gotta decide which way you want to go. The best plan would be to read up on tests of the various fluids, and decide for yourself which way to go. Hope this helps you decide what to do.

Here is a Chevrolet reference, read what the Chevrolet folks have to say.

• I just acquired a 1939 Chevy. It is very original (but not beautiful). The Brake master cylinder is empty. I do not want to put any of the new DOT fluids in because I am worried about it ruining the rubber seals. The 1939 Shop Manual says use GM Hydraulic Brake Fluid Super No. 9. Well I learned they do not even make it any more. So I searched for a Castor oil based brake fluid and they do not make that any more either. What do you owners of 30's and 40's use in your cars? Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Bob

clear.gif Reply clear.gif Reply With Quote multiquote_40b.png

[*] June 1st, 2010 #2

De Soto Frank

user-offline.png

Senior Member de-soto-frank.gif?dateline=1274972699 <dl class="userinfo_extra"><dt>Join Date</dt><dd>Jan 2002</dd><dt>Location</dt><dd>Scranton, PA. USA</dd><dt>Posts</dt><dd>2,645</dd></dl>

[h=2]Re: What is correct Brake fluid for 1939 Chevy?[/h]

DOT 3 or DOT 4 fluid should be fine.

These are both Glycol-Alcohol based brake fluids that have been in use for over fifty years.

DO NOT use DOT-5 silicone fluid unless you disassemble the entire system, replace all rubber, and clean all steel parts thoroughly with de-natured alcohol.

Be prepared to have to rebuild your Chevy's brake system anyhow; rubber parts do not last forever. A complete brake overhaul will run about $500 in parts, which is cheap compared to fixing the car / occupants after losing the brakes.

Better to check them out thoroughly before putting the car in service.

FYI - brake fluid absorbs moisture from the atmosphere, and most brake systems corrode from the inside-out; steel brake lines that look excellent on the outside can still have internal corrosion to the point of failure in a panic stop.

Good luck !

Frank McMullen

1928 Ford 49-A Special Coupe

1930 Chevrolet Special Sedan

1941 De Soto S-8 De Luxe Sedan

1948 & '50 Chrysler NY'ers

1941, 1954, 1955-first Chevy trucks

1961 Rambler American Convertible
    :D

1965 Ford F-100 long-bed pick-up

1982 Honda Silverwing GL-500 Interstate :cool:

Dearly Departed:

1955 De Soto Fireflite S-21 sedan

1960 Chrysler Windsor PC-1 sedan

1961 Plymouth Belvedere sedan

clear.gif Reply clear.gif Reply With Quote multiquote_40b.png

[*] June 2nd, 2010 #3

Rusty_OToole

user-offline.png

Senior Member <dl class="userinfo_extra"><dt>Join Date</dt><dd>Sep 2006</dd><dt>Posts</dt><dd>4,414</dd></dl>

[h=2]Re: What is correct Brake fluid for 1939 Chevy?[/h]

The old time brake fluid was glycerine based not castor oil. Use the parts store Dot 3 it will be way better than what they had in 39.

Yes you will probably wind up replacing all the rubber parts anyway. They only last so long, and need to be replaced every 15 or 20 years.

clear.gif