55 Vent window question.

Paul Falabella

Got the vent window assembly out of the door. Vent rubber is petrified,will probably need to be chipped off. Is it possible to remove the vent from the frame? If not what's the best way to get the glass out of the surround? And also if not I assume the new rubber will need to be split and wrapped around the pivots, or a better way? Is an adhesive advisable in addition to the glass tape?

Thanks in advance.

BTW, very tedious and time consuming. It is possible to attach the inner horizontal wiper(the fuzzy attached to the door trim surround) with original staples in the original holes. Best staples I ever met.

Paul

Although I've not done a 55 specifically ... I have done a number of vent windows

and can comment on the glass tape question. I've found that you will not need any additional

adhesive. In fact re-insertion of the glass into the frame with new glass tape will

probably seem VERY tight to you .... !

Just ensure all old tape and corrosion is out of that frame and is as

clean as possible. I have had good luck in the past by slightly heating the new glass tape

just before pressing it back in the frame. This allows the glass to

squish itself in there more easily. A little heat (heat gun) while pressing it

helps a lot.

Once set you can simply trim with a razor.

On a 53 Specail hardtop I was able to get the vent window (frame and glass) out of the vent window assembly after removing the old rubber gasket. I was also able to get the vent window back in after installing the new gasket. In this case, I needed to use a punch to make the hole for the vent window pivot rod to go through the gasket. I positioned the gasket at right angles to the vent window asembly and then with some pressure on the vent window frame I was able to compress the rubber to get the frame back into the assembly with the rod going throught he gasket to the regulator and the upper pivot into the upper pivot hole. Difficult to describe without a few photos. Then I positioned the gasket in the correct orientation and it fit quite well. This was a product of Steele.

Joe, BCA 33493