Inspection plate in floor on 1940

Daves1940Buick56S

All:

I have seen pictures of what appears to be an inspection plate on the front floor hump in order to get at the top of the trans and linkages while it is installed. Does anyone know if my 1940 56S has this? I will be ripping out the old mat and padding at some point next Spring but didn't want to tear into it now if I don't have it. Also, is it safe to assume the bolts/screws will be quite rusted and likely bust off? :eek:

Cheers, Dave

Guest Grant Magrath

I'd say yes, you do, the whole hump comes off, and the screws that hold it in place can be convinced to move with a little heat. I don't have a gas welding setup, so I use a butane blowtorch. They should be large flat headed ones. I've got the coupe one off at the moment to do some adjustments to the linkages, etc.

Cheers

Grant

Dave,

My '40 LTD also has a large "inspection" plate in the floor pan just above the tx. Long pointy screws hold it in place. I painted over the rust from underneath. Scrubbed as much as I could with a wire brush first. Did not try to remove the screws.

Mike in Colorado

Dave,

PB Blaster is what you want, and if you can get to them w/ the Tx in, a good stiff wire brushing first, and be sure to wear goggles.

Tell us about your overheating. Grant, Danny and I have been down that road, along with many many more folks.

There are lots of threads/posts on the subject, and a lot has to do with how brave you are, and how deep into your ride you are willing to go.

Mike in Colorado

P.S. Being nosey, I checked your profile, and no pic's in the gallery. You know we all hunger for pictures. Get cracking.....

Thanks Mike! I am getting to pictures, had to wait until I put the hood back on. The car is being stored at a neighbors while we are having a large deck/carport (for the Buick!) put on which should be finished tomorrow. When I get it back this weekend I will get some pix.

As to the overheating, my progress in in these threads:

thermostat

cooling

freeze plug

Current status is I have to pull off the hood again and go ahead and pull the radiator and get it cleared out or replace the core. That is the last thing, I did everything else. Hope to get it done in November.

Cheers, Dave