36 Buick front shock installation

Tom_S

I am now in the process of installing all my front end parts that I have made/purchased, fitted, etc. When I removed the front right side shock some time back, I found two flat washers between the frame and the rear of the shock. None were on the left side shock. Also, on the head of each of these bolts were an F and B scribed on them indicating front and back. The washers on the rear side had flats ground on them to clear the ridge on the frame. Obviously someone had the shock off at one time. The car has never been wrecked. The washers would tilt the shock down and toward the outside of the car. I can think of no alignment reason for these washers to be in place. I am going to look closer today with and without the washers in place. Can anyone venture a guess as to why the washers would be there.

Tom

post-86558-143139197832_thumb.jpg

post-86558-143139197835_thumb.jpg

Would that change camber a bit? (the shock would travel a slightly different arc??)

On my '38, caster would be adjusted by rotating the upper outer bushing pin, which would force the top of the knuckle fore or aft. But, if you wanted to adjust camber, you had to substitute the straight pin for one with an eccentric. Maybe the washers were a quick way to get some of the adjustment, without changing pins.

Jeff

Would that change camber a bit? (the shock would travel a slightly different arc??)

On my '38, caster would be adjusted by rotating the upper outer bushing pin, which would force the top of the knuckle fore or aft. But, if you wanted to adjust camber, you had to substitute the straight pin for one with an eccentric. Maybe the washers were a quick way to get some of the adjustment, without changing pins.

Jeff

Jeff,

I thought of that and last night I got out my 36 Buick shop manual. It clearly states that the camber is not adjustable on the car. It tells you how to check for the factory camber, but no adjustment to fix anything. Go figure! If you push the shock arms all the way down until they hit the bumper, and then install the washers. the arms basicaly do not move. To adjust the camber, one would have to move the shock in and out as though it had slotted holes or the same with the lower arm frame bolts. I did work on it today as other things came up like shooting guns, etc. But, I still have no ides why the shims. Hopefully I may get back to it tomorrow, but may get side tracked again going to a funeral in Tennessee.

Thanks,

Tom

Tom,

The shocks mount atop the coil spring "dome" welded to the frame rail.

Maybe someone a while back decided this surface was not flat enough to bold a cast iron shock housing to. Iron does not like to be under stress.

Just my $ .02

Mike in Colorado