advantages of a buick engine over other engines

I have always loved my buick 455 and impress anyone who rides in my car with it. It is modified, and really pulls like a mule, for some reason people still frown upon it when I tell them its a buick, they will say thats surprising or oh those cars make to much torque and therefore not good race engines. So what advantages does this engine have over others

Car Craft magazine in the June issue did a build up of five big block engines. they did a Ford,Chrysler,Pontiac, Chevy and a Buick. When the dyno tests were done,the Buick outdid them all. the article stated that the Buick was the most expensive to build,but was the best of the lot. You can tell your Buddies that ,and see what they have to say! smile.gif" border="0smile.gif" border="0

The Buick 455 is also the lightest of all the big block engines. I believe it is approximately 150 lbs. lighter than a BB Chevy. A Buick 455 with an aluminum intake & headers weighs about the same as a stock SB Chevy.<P>Of course, as you increase power, you reach a point where the lighter weight hurts you.<BR>The block is not as strong as some others. But that point is way above your average modified street engine.<P>Just look at the results of some of the musclecar drag races (Pure Stock, Stock Appearing, etc.), you'll see that the big block Buick can more than hold it's own against all the other musclecars.

I agree with the old man and mike....the early 70 455's were literal torque monsters out of the factory...I have a downsize version so to speak...but when i hear its buyuk....i kinda laugh...and take my sleeper..wake it up and watch the eyes go...hmmmmm....lol....you have a great engine...dont let the common folk...(chevys)...get to ya...c ya later...bu smile.gif" border="0

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>...those cars make to much torque and therefore not good race engines...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Ask those same guys if they know how much torque a Nitro powered Top Fuel engine makes. rolleyes.gif" border="0<P>Don't personally know the answer to that one, but I bet it's just a tad more than the Buick 455 Stage-1. smile.gif" border="0<p>[ 06-14-2002: Message edited by: Straycat ]

The GS guys around here used to have a bunch of shirts made up that said "Any idiot can build a Chevy... and most do!" Directly under that was "Go fast with class- Buick GS". Used to get the Chevy crowd riled up when they wore them to the dragstrip, but it made for some good racing once them C-car boys got mad enuff to quit polishing and put 'em on the track- even though they usually got beat.<P>My high-school best friend had a 71 Stage 1 that was the scourge of South Boston VA until his dad found out what he was doing with the car. Nothing could touch it except for one 68 Torino that had a built 429.<P>Even though I'm an Olds guy at heart, I always thought the Buick was the best big-block GM had. Apparently the General didn't think so- he gave all the V8 production to Chevy. I have seen too many BB-C with rods sticking thru the block to believe that was a good decision.

You can tell your techie friends that the Buick 455 has...<P>A bigger bore, shorter stroke, and longer rod, than any of the other 455-454 GM engines. It also has a rod-stoke ratio that is close to the ideal 1.7:1 for an acceleration motor(Don't ask me why that is ideal, but the performance at the drag strip speaks for itself). The valve train has shaft mounted rockers which means you don't have to run a stud-girdle. The lifters are of larger diameter than most engines so they can handle a more aggressive cam profile. All this and the above mentioned weight advantage. Only 600 lbs. and with an aluminum intake its only 25 lbs more than a SB chevy<P>On second thought, tell that to your non-techie friends too because you will sound like you know what your talking about.<P><BR>To be fair, the advantages of a BB Chevy include a far better oiling system, cheaper parts, a stronger block, and wider heads that allow for splayed valves.

• 1 month later...

"Too much torque?"<BR>Hmmm...I didn't think that was possible.<BR>I'll take torque over horsepower any day. Who cares about high-end horsepower, especially in a street car? When's the last time you picked up the groceries at 8 grand?<BR>-Brad