help needed with '32 series 50

simhin

I need some advice again, gentlemen. The car is running now and I've been using it a little. However, the carb is running 'open' without a filter etc, and i noticed on some photos, there there is normally a large metal filter case, with, presumably an element inside.

Does anyone know where i could get one of those....or..is there an alternative that could act as a stop gap.

At the moment I have to run with a little choke on all the time, and I'm thinking that the filter would 'richen' the mixture a tad and do away with this...

Also having rebuilt the carb, I'm still getting a lot of gas fumes in the car, and once again i wandered if these things were linked

Thanks for any advice

Cheers

Simon

Simon,

If your 32 series 50 is anything like my 30 model 68, the metal can on the end of the carburetor that is generously referred to as an "air filter" has no element inside and will stop nothing other than boulders and low flying birds from entering the carb. I don't know of a source for an original replacement although I am planning to machine mine to accept an element typically used on a motorcycle, and thus maintain its stock appearance. I doubt that adding an air filter will make much difference with respect to the need to make your carb run a bit richer.

Thanks,

Simon,

The metal can filter does have a wire mesh, but that is all and it possibly limits the air intake a bit compared to being nothing. I think the manual says that you should soak the wire nesh to get it clean, but I am not sure what it would collect during early use as dust would certainly by pass much of the wire mesh, I would think. Further, the filter is not easily open and reclosed, as I think the orignal maintenance was to soak the entire unit.I am liking the idea of Michael. I do have a spare which is ratty from being exposed to th elements for many years. So, now that I have my new garage space most;y organized, perhaps this will be a winter project to see if these filters can be configured for a paper element and not effect the carburation beyond normal adjustments. I am not a carburation expert so would welcome comments from others. At leat I have a well running '32 to check against, and I know someone with the same engine with three carburators and small filters, so I will check any theories with him. For now, I would try to simulate the original. Do you have the Marvel book that has a diagram of the arrangement? If not, I will see if I can scan one for you.

John

Simhin,

I have a spare original "Air Filter" if you are interested in restoring the original look. The original design spins the air to force heavier particles to the outside while allowing the "Cleaner" air to enter the intake. A good idea for driving on early dirt and gravel roads...

Many owners have inserted other filter material inside the can to do a better jof of filtering. I suggest oil coated gauze material like a K&N filter would work well inside the original filter body. What is the outside diameter of your carb. intake?