should I sell my 36 panel?

Guest toybox99615

Guest toybox99615

I have a very nice 36 panel that has sat in my heated garage since 1998. It a long story, so here is a short version. I bought this from an older man who was the third owner. He acquired this in 1970 from a fellow he work with for 30 plus years. It was his daily driver for a few years while he had his own 36 restored (Yes, he and his buddy bought a pair of 36 panels new from the local dealer.) In 1980 he parked both trucks in his garage and bough a modern car. So it sat in storage from 1980 to 1998 when I bought it. (I should have bought both as they were both available.) I bought one of the two, shipped it to my home in Alaska, did some very easy brake system repairs and drove it for a year. Since then it has sat in my shop. My original plan was to make it into a touring ride by converting the brakes to dual master cylinder with front disc, a latter model rear axle, small V8 engine and 4 speed transmission. That's right another classic was going to be made into a street rod of sorts. However my heart just would not allow me to follow through as this is a really nice truck in unbelievable condition. Only fools ruin a truck in the condition this one is in.

Every few years I get into the mood to make this into a true classic (original.) Now I'm in the mood again but I know the reality is this panel should belong to someone else. If anyone is seriously interested in a 36 Dodge Brothers panel contact me and maybe we can make a deal.

Guest toybox99615
Chances are I could not buy it but I would be interested in seeing pictures of it.
I know pictures would have been a great addition to my post. My ISP is so slow I decided to not post any with this thread and make a separate web page as a reference. However that changed as my ISP no longer provide me the ability to set up a web page. I will find a way to get some pic on the web some place and then make another thread or update this one. At this point I guess I'm in such a quandary over sell or keeping that pics were not my greatest concern.

Guest toybox99615
I can post the photos for you here if you send them to me at keiser31@charter.net.

I guess I need to post an apology for not being able to find my pictures of the 36. I had a nice collection that I've put away some place. Who knows where that is. So I'll have to take some new pics of the panel and then show them off. Since my shop looks like a hoarder occupies the place that will be a while before I can get that done.

keiser31 I appreciate the offer.

So, I take it the Panel is in Alaska? Quality photos would be a must if you are really interested in selling it. You could try posting them on a free online service like Photobucket, Picasa, SmugMug, Flicker, PictureTrail or Snapfish. All of those then supply a URL path to the photos that you can attach to a post here. It may take a bit of time for them to upload but you can add photos to the "Album" as your bandwidth time permits. Maybe start the upload when you go to bed and let it run overnight. But at least throw one shot on your post here.

If you decide to keep the Panel, there are a pile of '36 owners here that will be able to help with questions as you go and will always give opinions. There are guys in CA who own them and a guy in TX working on one now as I recall. So there would be plenty of help on the Forum here if you require.

Who knows? I may ditch my plan to work on my old Touring Sedan and consider the Panel. All depends on condition I guess.

Keep us informed!

Guest toybox99615
So, I take it the Panel is in Alaska? Quality photos would be a must if you are really interested in selling it. You could try posting them on a free online service like Photobucket, Picasa, SmugMug, Flicker, PictureTrail or Snapfish. All of those then supply a URL path to the photos that you can attach to a post here. It may take a bit of time for them to upload but you can add photos to the "Album" as your bandwidth time permits. Maybe start the upload when you go to bed and let it run overnight. But at least throw one shot on your post here.

If you decide to keep the Panel, there are a pile of '36 owners here that will be able to help with questions as you go and will always give opinions. There are guys in CA who own them and a guy in TX working on one now as I recall. So there would be plenty of help on the Forum here if you require.

Who knows? I may ditch my plan to work on my old Touring Sedan and consider the Panel. All depends on condition I guess.

Keep us informed!

Well thanks to all for the help. I'll try to get some photos up by next week. Or maybe I'll find that stash of photos (not digital images) that I can scan and at least show of my baby.

Guest toybox99615

I felt so embarrassed about not having any pictures to post I just had to stop everything and put a couple in my profile album. I'm sure some might have been thinking this guy probably does not own a panel. And I would not blame anyone for thinking that way as I might have been appearing as avoiding posting pictures. So check my profile and there are three shots of the truck in my album.

Now please realize these were shot today in the worst kind of situation where I could not actually get to be very creative with how to show the panel off.

As I said in an earlier posting my shop looks like a hoarder uses it. Part of the reality of having to put everything in there when I travel for the summer.

I had this engine running in the last year..

Let me tell you a few things the photos do not show: yes the hood and all its chrome is here. It is inside the rear of the panel as I had to remove it to remove the radiator in order to get the headlight wiring out. The headlights were reworked, including re-chroming, by AIH Chrome of Dubuque, Iowa. (I'd never use them to do anything ever again as they did not do the complete job in over 18 months.) The chrome is fantastic. It the parts they left off that show they are incompetent. All four shocks are on the truck. The bucket seats are in need of recovering. The carb was redone by The Carb Doctor. The original head lamp relay (look like a voltage regulator) is still in place as is the voltage relay. The wheel cylinders were all reworked by White Post Restoration of Virginia, the master cylinder is NOS. The fuel tank was replaced by the previous owner.

From my perspective here are a few things needing restoration: all the wiring, the fender welting and all the rubber around the doors and windshield, all the rubber parts (some of which I have,) the door panels and the kick-plates need replacing. Depending upon how one wants this to be a full restored 36 you could do a lot of tinkering here and there.

SO that's my store and I'm sticking with it.

I honestly do not know if the seller (Otto) had been a painter. He said he retired from the phone company.

Yeah, It's been a long time since I looked at those trucks, so I may have the story wrong. I couldn't buy at the time, but I often wondered where they ended up. Those were about the nicest original humpbacks I'd seen. Best of luck with it whatever you decide.